Chapter 21

Peter tossed and turned, groans escaping him... Peter ran through the jungle as fast as he could. Suddenly he heard Wendy's scream, which was followed by a boom and Hook's evil laughter. "Wendy?!" He reached the hideout only to find it burning. He looked down at his feet and collapsed. Wendy's lifeless body lay there. Peter scooped her up and immediately touched her abdomen, praying that the baby was okay. He rubbed it carefully, only to have stillness respond to him. He then saw the red spot. "No! Wendy! No, no, no, no! I can't lose you again! I can't lose you and the baby! Come back! Please come back to me!" Peter held the lifeless body close to his chest, hoping and praying that hearing his heartbeat would bring them back to him. Still only stillness. Peter cried a river, his pain and heartbreak were more than he could bear... "Peter..." Wendy had been awoken by Peter frantically crying her name in his sleep. "I can't lose you again!..." Wendy was becoming worried, something was deeply bothering him. "WENDY!" Peter thrashed awake, drenched in sweat, tears streaming down his face. He shot bolt upright, whipped his head around trying to figure out where he was. His heart was thudding furiously, the blood rushing to his head making it throb. It was dark, he was in bed. Safe in the hideout, not outside it while it burned. The nightmare came back with painful force. "Wendy." he whispered. Even though it was just a nightmare he had to know. He had to know if she was safe. He looked at her staring up at him worriedly. "Wendy! Oh, Wendy!" He whispered, carefully clutching the young woman's body. Peter pan cried. He might have lost her and their baby, and that pain was too much to hold in. The nightmare was so real, the boom ear splitting, and her blood too bright. Wendy stared, confused at his actions. "Peter? Why are you crying?" Peter looked up startled; he wiped his nose on his sleeve. "I-" Wendy gave Peter a kindly smile, she could sense he was distressed and needed come kind of comfort. She scooted closer, motioning to the bed beside her. Peter eagerly moved in and gathered Wendy to his chest, his thumb brushing the baby bump, where their child was safely tucked away. "I thought I'd lost you and our little one." Was all he said, and began to sniffle. Wendy was confused but didn't press questions. "I'm right here." Wendy cooed, running her fingers over his skin, like her mother used to do when she was upset. This seemed to calm Peter and soon his breathing turned slow and even. "I'm right here." She whispered, her eyes getting heavy. Neither one could remember falling asleep, but they did. Fast asleep in each other's arms, it banished the nightmares away and the two slept very peacefully.