Chapter 3

Later I was shown to my new room and I had time to unpack some of my belongings. I was also shown to the mess hall, where many soldiers were eating and having a good time. I spotted Levi in the back, standing against the wall. He looked like he was in his own little world. I wonder why he is more antisocial, but, I'd prefer not to question. The cadet known as Johnson led me to a woman with brown hair and round glasses.

"Section Commander Hange." He addressed. The woman looked over and saw the two of us.

"Yes? Is there something you need?" She asked.

"This is Doctor Zaki's daughter, she will be staying here to help you conduct research on the titans." He explained. Suddenly, her eyes lit up with excitement. She shot up from her seat and immediately grasped my hands.

"YOU ARE DOCTOR ZAKI'S DAUGHTER?! HOW WONDERFUL!!" She blurted. I shocked from her sudden outburst. Everyone in the room glanced over in our direction. I felt many eyes on me and I didn't like being the center of attention.

"Um..." I murmured and lowered my head. Levi especially was glaring at me.

"You must know a ton about the titans! Come with me! Come with me now!!" Hange gripped my wrist and stormed out of the mess hall with me trailing behind.

"Wahh! Wait!" I blurted out, trying not to trip over.

"What the hell was that?" Asked one of the soldier's.

"Probably the crazy titan lady is going to start doing human experiments." Snickered another.

"But did you hear her mentioned Doctor Zaki's daughter? Do you think that was her?" Asked a female soldier.

"Who knows. Probably."

Hange dragged me outside and I collapsed to my knees, trying to catch my breath.

"My name is Hange Zoe. I study everything about titans, I know your father well, we have done a lot of work together!" She explained.

"I see... Um, I'm (y/n) Zaki. It's a pleasure to meet you." I greeted, feeling nervous.

"The pleasure is all mine!" She greeted, shaking my hand violently.

"Hey four eyes. Don't go causing a scene in the mess hall." Levi snapped as he stood by the door. We both looked in his direction.

"Oh, come on Levi, I'm just getting to know (y/n)! If she knows anything about those titans, we can learn more for what we hoped for." Hange explained, throwing an arm around my shoulders.

"I can do whatever I can to help, but I'm not sure how much use I can be." I mentioned. Levi sighed and stood up straight.

"Brat, don't let shitty glasses drain that brain you have with her questions." Levi stated at me. I was beginning to feel more nervous.

"I um..." I didn't know what to say. Levi walked off without another word.

"What do you know about the titans, (y/n)?" Hange asked me, taking a step back.

"Well, only so much from what I learnt from my father. I can tell you everything I know, but I would also like to know your insights as well." I explained, gaining my composure again. When it came to father's research, I am dedicated with all my might.

"Sounds like something we should discuss over dinner. How about tonight? I can get one of the cadets to lead you to my office." Hange stated.

"That would be good. Anyway, I just got here so I might just go take a look around the place." I suggested.

"Sure thing (y/n), it was a pleasure to meet you." Hange replied with a wave. We parted ways and I decided to do exactly what I said I were going to do. Have a look around.

"That Hange woman is sure full of energy, but she seems nice." I whispered to myself. I continued to walk around until I accidently bumped into someone.

"Excuse me." She stated. I looked up and saw a raven-haired girl with dark mysterious eyes.

"I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying attention." I apologised.

"It's quite alright." She replied.

"Um, sorry but do you know which way back to headquarters? I may have gotten lost..." I giggled while rubbing my head.

"Sure thing, but what business would you have with the Survey Corps?" The woman asked.

"I um, am helping them conduct research." I replied.

"I see. This way then." She answered, beginning to lead the way. I walked beside her.

"I'm (y/n) by the way, (y/n) Zaki." I greeted.

"I'm Mikasa, Mikasa Ackerman." She greeted back. 

Why does that last name sound familiar?

"It's nice to meet you." I smiled and shook her hand.

"You look kind of pale, are you okay?" She asked, as her expression remained still.

"It's nothing bad. It's just that I felt I heard the name Ackerman before..." I replied, fiddling with my hair.

"Is that so? All I know is that it's a clan of some sort." She replied. After she said that, the more the name sounded familiar. Ackerman clan? Where did I hear that from? It sounds like a name my father brought up once. 

"Sounds pretty special to me." I pointed out.

"You think so?" Mikasa asked. I gave her a nod.

We both arrived and then parted ways. I decided to head back to my room as I was feeling tired. Before I could even open the door, I felt my shoulder being grabbed and yanked back. I looked, and I saw Levi.

"C-Captain Levi?" I was surprised to see him of all people.

"Oi brat, try not to get lost, you useless to us otherwise. Also, why were you questioning about the Ackerman family?" Levi asked. Why does he want to know that?

"I... was just curious about it. It just rang a bell in my head." I replied, looking into his eyes.

"Tch." Levi released my shoulders and stormed off without another word.

Levi's P.O.V

What does she know about the Ackerman family? Is it possible her father must have told her about it?

I walked back to my office, feeling frustrated.

"That girl.... Seems all too familiar to me. But, I don't want to remember it." I mumbled under my breath. I headed to my office to finish off some paperwork Erwin assigned me to.

Your P.O.V

I set the walls up with father's research and pinned some pieces with a thread linking to others that are connected somehow.

"Why would father just disappear outside the walls...? Especially without telling me... Could it be linked to Shiganshina...?" I questioned. 

All the self-questioning made me very hungry, in fact, I knew where the mess hall was, maybe I should go eat something. I left the room, making sure to lock it behind me. I made my way towards the mess hall, this time without getting lost.