Chapter 4 - Bodyguard Handbook

Start from the beginning

"Hi." I greeted. The old man looked at me and smiled, displaying large yellow teeth, when he saw me.

"Can I get you anything, miss?" He asks politely and I nod, giving him a kind smile.

"Yes, I'd like to purchase a few things." I said and grabbed the better looking items from his stand; a paisley scarf, a wooden bead bracelet, another scarf but in sunflower yellow, and a pair of sunglasses.

The old man looked at me as if I was his own personal angel, obviously delighted by the number of things I was going to buy.

"That'll be forty dollars." The vendor said, putting my things in a flimsy nylon black bag.

"Thank you." I smiled, giving him two twenty bills.

"She's crazy..." I heard Cisco mutter beside me and I fought the urge to laugh, smiling to myself. I waved goodbye to the old man and we started to walk.

Turning at a street, Francisco looked around and surveyed the area then spoke to me, "Where did you run into the two dicks?" He asked and I laughed at his choice of words.

"I'll just show you." I said, still giggling, and he looked at me and smiled softly before looking away to survey the area again when we hit a new street.

"Can you please relax?" I asked, looking at him from where he stood much taller than me. He looked at me, a smirk on his lips and an amused glint in his eyes. Dammit, stop being so attractive! Please.

"Sorry, not in the bodyguard handbook." Cisco replied, his tone teasing and light. I chuckled and rolled my eyes with humor. We lapsed into a comfortable silence for the minute remaining until we made it to the coffee shop.

"That's the place?" Cisco asked when he laid eyes on the shop.

"Yeah, that's it. Want to have some coffee?" I asked.

"Sure." He opened the door to the shop for me, holding it for me to walk in, and I did, surprised. I guess chivalry isn't completely dead after all.

"Thank you." I said, the shock seeping out of my voice.

"You're welcome." Cisco's chuckled and I knew the shock was evident. I watched him as he surveyed the room, noting the few quiet people here, and I sighed. I'll have to get used to him. Ha! Good one, Mila. We walked to the cashier, the usual young man, and he spoke before the words came out of my opened mouth.

"Small caramel macchiato, no whip?" He asked, smiling at me.

"Yes, thank you." I said, laughing with a grin. Of course he'd remember, I've been here ten thousand times.

"Cisco?" I asked, glancing up at him where he stood beside me, angled to cover half my back in what I guessed to be a bodyguard-ly fashion. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. What? Will the pastries and coffee beans attack me? Yet the urge to roll my eyes was replaced when I noticed the mischievous glint in his hard-set eyes, a smirk playing on his full lips. He was looking at the cashier and when I turned to the young man, I noticed he was looking at Cisco too with nervous blue eyes.

"Cisco!" I called his name out again, harsher this time, and his gaze cooly went down to me and away from the cowering cashier.

"Yes, babe?" He asked, cool and composed with a small smile. My heart jerked and crashed into my chest before falling clumsily down and hitting it's head on the imaginary floor I composed. It was rubbing the painful lump on its head with a frown.

"Uhh... Order something." I said, still shocked by my reaction at the word babe coming from his lips and voice, sexy and teasing. He obviously did it to spite the cashier who might or might not have been showing interest in me for a while.