Chapter 4 - Bodyguard Handbook

Start from the beginning

"My job. I thought you didn't want a bodyguard around you and if I'm not mistaken, ten feet is not exactly 'around', Mila." Francisco arched his eyebrow in amusement and speculation and I wondered for a second if it might fall off. He was always doing that godforsaken thing.

"I think I'd rather endure having you around if it doesn't arouse people's suspicions that some big creep is following me around constantly." I muttered, annoyed, and Francisco's dark brown eyes sparkled with humor as a husky chuckle escaped his throat.

"And what about publicity? What about what people say?" He asked, his voice mocking, and I felt the urge to punch him again.

"Please, I'm a model, not Lady Gaga, and frankly, I don't care." I said easily and he almost looked shocked. What?

"Just walk beside me, Francisco." My voice was a coherent mumble, causing him to chuckle.

"Cisco." He smoothly corrects.

"Just walk beside me, Cisco." I repeated, irritated, and Cisco laughed, his laughter dangerously close when he found his pace beside me.

The atmosphere was tense in the elevator, buzzing almost, so I waited in agony until all the floors dinged by and we were at the lobby. Once we were outside Cisco signaled for a taxi and we stepped in.

"Where to?" The drive asked and I gave him the address. I became all too aware of Cisco's eyes burning into my neck, piercing and hot.

"What?" I asked, looking at him to find him staring at me in bewilderment, his own what-the-hell look on his handsome face.

"What the hell are you going to do so far away?" He asked, incredulous.

"Take care of something." I replied.

"Elaborate." He commanded, irritated.

"No." And I retrieved my phone from my pocket, using speed dial to call Dr. Merchant. He answered in two rings.

"Dr. Merchant speaking."

"Yes, Dr. Merchant, it's Milani. Have you visited my mother yet?" I asked, my voice calm.

"Yes, I'm here just now. Don't you worry." Dr. Merchant said, chuckling, and I felt myself visibly relax in the cab seat. Dr. Merchant had been my mother's doctor ever since her first days of the diagnosis and he knew me all too well, being quite close to us, so he knew my inclination to over worry on things regarding my mom's health.

"Thanks, doc." I said.

"Anytime, Milani." We hung up and I put the phone away, once again feeling that pair of eyes on me. I turned to look at him, his eyes sympathetic and melancholy. No...

"Oh, not you too." I said weakly playing with my fingers on my lap.

"What?" Cisco asked, looking confused.

"I don't want you to look at me like that, with all that sympathy. It makes me feel like a charity cause or something." I answered, my voice soft, and I looked at his eyes as they became soft pools of liquid chocolate. Oh, God. My stomach flipped.

"I'm sorry." Cisco said and he meant it, a genuine and beautiful smile coming onto his features as he looked at me, my breath hitching. "It won't happen again." He added and I felt a smile come onto my face too.

***

I had told the cab driver to suddenly stop when I noticed we were at the exact street I wanted and got out of the cab as soon as I paid the cab fare.

"The hell are you going to 'take care of' on the street?" Cisco asked, exasperated, when we were walking side by side down the street.

"This." I said as soon as my eyes landed on the right vendor... whose hat I stole during the chase yesterday