Chapter 4 - Bodyguard Handbook

Start from the beginning

"Here you go. Careful, it's really hot." I warned as I held out the cup to my mom, holding mine carefully so it wouldn't spill. She took it and gave me a grateful smile.

We were drinking our tea, chatting lightly about the book she was reading, Mansfield Park, when there was knocking on the door.

"Must be Dr. Merchant." I said, placing my tea cup on the coffee table and getting up from the sofa.

I opened the door, my eyes widening. That is definitely not Dr. Merchant...

"This early?" I asked, my voice incredulous.

"I aim for punctuality, Ms. Belvedere." Francisco said smoothly, a smirk rolling onto his lips as he stood tall and all man in the hallway. My mom must have told him to be here at nine in the morning. Seriously, this early? What for? I noticed I was staring, lost in thought, when Francisco's dark eyebrow arched in amused inquisition. Shit, Milani, you are so...!

"Come in." I murmured, stepping aside and turning around, and he chuckled quietly to himself behind me as he followed, footsteps light. I bubbled with anger at his amusement to my discomfort yet something inside me was more angry at myself for having had my stomach flip at the utterly masculine sound.

"Mom, Mr. Medina is here." I announced and without a backwards glance walked off into my room. I had made up my mind on getting something done and having Sir Bodyguard here was not going to keep me from doing it. Quickly, I took my phone and slipped it into my back pocket then got some money and put it in the other pocket. I was in no mood to tolerate a purse.

Aiming for nonchalance, I strode into the living room where I found my mom in the same place, Sir Bodyguard sitting in the other couch adjacent to her, his back to me. They had been talking. My mom looked at me when I entered the room but she quickly looked back at Francisco.

"So everything's in place?" She asked him casually and he nodded before he spoke, "Yes."

Francisco stood up from the couch and turned, facing me now, and I thought I saw sadness in his eyes but whatever was there was gone before I could analyze it.

"Anything to do, Ms. Belvedere?" He asked, cool and professional as he looked me over discreetly. I swallowed a lump in my throat, suddenly nervous and feeling my face flush crimson.

"Mila. And yes, I've something I have to do." I answered, quickly looking away from his eyes. His eyebrow had been risen in question but I had ignored it. I walked to my mother, taking both her hands in mine.

"I'm calling Dr. Merchant in a few and if he's not here when I call then I'm coming back, okay?" I said, my voice serious even through my smile.

She nodded, rolling her eyes and she spoke, "Yes, mom." I chuckled and kissed her cheek then let go of her hands to start walking to the door, my eyes connecting with Francisco's at the second but I tore them away, staring at the door.

"Coming?" I asked, opening the door and walking out into the still hall.

"Right behind you." He said, amusement in his voice. Did he ever not find things humoring?

I started walking to the elevators when I noticed I didn't hear his footsteps, let alone feel him beside me or see him from the corner of my eye. For some reason I was quite certain I would know when he was close and now... he wasn't. I stopped walking and looked right then left but found no Francisco. Confused, I looked back and I was shocked to see him walking leisurely behind me, ten feet away.

I gave him a what-the-hell look, his eyes gleaming, and he raised an eyebrow in question as if this was all too normal.

"There is no way in hell that I am walking around New York City with you following me around ten feet away! What are you doing?" I exclaimed, exasperated, my arms coming crossed over my chest in habit.

The Model's Bodyguard (Romantic Suspense) [COMPLETED]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara