1- Nightingale

Chapter 1-  Nightingale

Tatiana Heart     

It’s cold.

My thin and torn sweater does not help me in any way. After all, I bought it when I was just a little girl. Now, at seventeen, I wear the same sweater.

As I wrapped my arms tighter around myself, I inwardly chastised myself. I’m here – on the kerbs of the Brooklyn streets, not to complain about the weather conditions but to sing. To earn a living.  Patently, I would not acquire a house after simply singing on the cold streets, but maybe I would get a good meal? That is infinitely more than I can ask.

A sudden whoosh of wind let loose a curl from my ponytail. The sudden appearance of the dark lock of hair in my vision jolted me out of my reverie.

Sing. Tatiana, sing.

Taking a deep breath, I let out a soft one.

Nightingale

Sing us a song

Of a love that once belonged.”

I used to be happy. I used to have a good life. I used to be surrounded by people who loved me.

Nightingale

Tell me your tale

Was your journey far too long?”

He destroyed my perfect life. He destroyed me, and he destroyed everybody that I ever cared about.

“Does it seem like I'm looking for an answer

To a question I can't ask

I don't know which way the feather falls

Or if I should blow it to the left.”

What did I do to deserve this? What did I do to deserve the harshness and the coldness of this life? I was good. I helped everybody. It’s been years but I can’t stop myself asking the same thing over and over again. Will I ever be able to stop asking myself this question – Why?

All the voices that are spinnin' around me

Trying to tell me what to say

Can I fly right behind you?

And you can take me away.”

I want out. I am sick of this-

Clink.

I am sick singing my throat hoarse for a single hot meal. I’m sick of singing for my life. I’m sick of singing for nobody, and I don’t want to sing for myself.

Clink.

I think I got some money. The sound was the clinking of coins in my guitar case. Today’s meal is sorted. But, I don’t want the same gravy and rice for a dollar. I want something else...a coffee maybe?

I want change. I don’t want to do the same thing tomorrow. I don’t want to do the same thing for the whole of my life.

I don’t want to go back to my cocoon of blankets at the end of the day – without anybody to reach home too. I don’t want to go back there without anybody to ask how I am. I don’t want to close my blue eyes at the end of the day, knowing that when I open them again, there will be no loved one waiting for me. I don’t want this loneliness – this life.

I desire change. But, most of all, I desire love.

---

A/N

Hi. Thanks for reading, means a lot.

On the side --> Song sung by Tatiana (Nightingale by Norah Jones) and Tatiana's picture (Shantel Vansenten)

It's pretty short, but that's because it's more like Tatiana's introduction. The next chapter will be Maxton's introduction and then finally I'll let the ball rolling! Hope you guys stick around. 

Love,

Tanya

xoxo