3- Safe

Chapter 3- Safe

Tatiana Heart

Night has fallen. It's pretty dark and I can barely see my hand two centimetres in front of my face.

My throat is aching from a whole day of singing. I don't have any medicine for it, but I hope it would be okay by the next morning.

I walk half-blind, weaving my way through the dark.

Walking for a few minutes, I retrieve my blankets from my small hideout behind the dump site. Closing my nose for a bit, I quickly walked out of the area. Then, I proceeded to look for a nice place to sleep. Preferably under some streetlight, I wouldn't want any creepy fellow busker to treat me as his play toy while I'm sleeping. Most likely is that he wouldn't want me to see him and would not come under the light.

The things experience teaches you are truly remarkable.

I trudged back to set up my makeshift home. Opening up my blanket, I spread it on the ground. I progressed to gently sit my body over it, taking care to keep my gravy and rice carefully. Wouldn't want it to spill now, would we? Finally burrowing myself in the covers, I gently peeled away the cheap plastic cover from the gravy container. Doing the same with the rice one, I mixed them both together. Taking some of the meal in my mouth, I was met with the familiar tang of the gravy. I sighed. At least, I don't sleep empty-stomached. I was very grateful for it; don't get me wrong, but having the same thing every day, every meal for 12 years does get you down.

I didn't always live like this. I had family, love, variety and a happening life. I didn't drown in my sorrows and be despondent all day long, but in lieu, I used to be content, gratified, jovial and above all innocent.

The harshness of the world changed me and the desolation that came with repeated loss made sure that the happy little girl I once was, was buried away.

To think, a few bad decisions by an egotistical, mercenary man had shaped up my miserable state right now. This simple fact was enough to give rise to many negative emotions inside of me. It made me detest him.

It also made me detest myself. I had let him close, close to me and to my family. I had let him make me - us - believe in 'forever'. Even after those days when he came home under the influence and proceeded to destroy everything that mattered, I excused him. Time and time again, I excused him.

It's been years and I haven't been able to forgive myself. Knowing that apart from myself, I let the little ones remain in danger, broke me. How could I be so blind?

I was suddenly jolted out of my thoughts by a loud rumble. It was the sky. Well, great. Looks like it is going to rain. I moved out of my cocoon of covers and rushed towards the landfill. Near it, was the paper area from where I took a couple of cardboard boxes. Those would have to do as my shelter during this stormy night.

I walked back to my 'home' and fixed the boxes in a way that I would not become too wet by the approaching thunderstorm.

Pulling the covers to veil most part of my body, I slowly lay down my head. I closed my eyes and willed sleep to embrace me in its comforting arms. It was the only source of comfort for me lately.

Unfortunately, the rolls of thunder showed absolutely no mercy. The roars, howls and rumbles continued to play their song – a song which we, the mere mortals would never be able to understand or appreciate.

Time passed and I don't know when I was enveloped by sleep. The comfort was short-lived and I was woken up by a cold waft of wind. As I opened my eyes and saw the sight in front of me, my mouth fell open. It was an incredulous thing.

I'm sure it was a simple thing for the majority of people in this world, but to me, this simple thing meant so much. A tear slipped out of my eye. It was a barely significant thing but it had been days – years - since someone had thought about me. Cared about me. Even if it was a small gesture, it was a gesture just the same.

I wiped away the tear. Whoever was kind enough to think – to care – must not want me to cry.

I looked at it again.

A used jacket, a coffee (that was still miraculously warm) and a small note had never appeared more beautiful.

Slowly slipping on the jacket, I felt the warmth that I craved. There was a certain scent in the garment – something woodsy and chocolaty. It didn't smell like laundry, it smelt like a hug. The jacket not only warmed me physically but the scent, in a magical way, removed my loneliness.

I slipped my hands around the warm coffee cup and took a sip. To some it may taste a little off – a couple of less shots of coffee and few more of sugar, but to me, I had never tasted anything more heavenly.

Finally, feeling warm and safe after ages, I opened the note.

*

You looked cold. I thought you could use it more than me. Take care.

-Max

P.S I have never heard a lovelier voice than yours.

*

And for the first time in what felt like centuries, I smiled.

-

It's been so long guys, I'm sorryyyy. Don't mind the short chapters, as the story moves along, I will make them longer. J

Thanks for reading, love!

ilysm ok bye

Tanya x