V

Phillip had been with us for two weeks now. I had filled him in on everything that happened in my life since he left and he had done the same. I had also told him that my mother forbade me to come to the circus and when I refused, she and my father decided I couldn't be a part of their family anymore. Phillip offered to help me, "if you need anything," but I had told him I was fine and that I enjoyed this lifestyle far more than my last, although the living arrangements were quite similar for now.

One morning, after a show which had a particular reporter in the audience, the Barnum's and I went to the circus earlier than usual. Mr. Bennett's article in the paper had been quite cruel and P.T. had called a meeting, hoping that someone at the circus would have an idea.

When we arrived, everyone except Phillip was sitting in the back. Mr. Barnum took the paper he had brought with him, sat down, and began to read the article, focusing on specific parts.

"'Shame of the city," he read. "'The protests comend Mr. Barnum's reputation...' 'as a purvayor of the offensive and indecent.'"

"Offensive and indecent," Lettie said as she combed her beard. "Mr. Bennett, I'm blushing."

"-No! I'm blushing!" Helen yelled causing most of us to laugh at her and the fake beard she was wearing in an attempt to mimick Lettie. We sold a lot of those beards at our last couple shows. It seemed kids wanted to be just like their favorite 'oddity'.

Mr. Barnum had a very serious look plastered on his face.

"What do you care what Bennett thinks?" I asked.

"-He's a prick!" Lord of Leeds called out.

"-And a snob." Charles said turning to face P.T.

"Yeah," P.T. sighed, "all the snobs in New York are reading me- He does their thinking for them."

"What ever happened to thriving off controversy?" Anne asked referring to Mr. Barnum's original plan to handle the papers.

"Yeah, well..." he sighed again. "Look, hey.." Phillip was walking in." - Do you have any thoughts on this?"

"Phillip!" Helen called. I laughed at her excitement as she ran past me and gave Phillip a hug.

"As a matter of fact, I do," Phillip proudly stated. He handed a letter to P.T. and continued playing with Helen.

"The master of the Household," P.T. read, "has it in the command of the Queen... To invite Mr. Phineas Barnum and his theatrical troop to a reception at Buckingham Palace."

As he spoke, we all got closer to him as if to ensure we were hearing him right. I noticed a shocked expression on Anne's face.

Charity was the first to speak up. "The Queen Victoria? Is this real?"

"I had to pull a few strings." Phillip stated.

"A few!?" I asked. P.T. had only just hired him last week. He must have started working on this as soon as he was hired.

Phillip looked right at me and smiled. "If you want society to accept you, you may as well start at the very very top."

The room was filled with cheers and exclamations.

"The Queen?"

"I can't believe it!"

"I've always dreamed of seeing Buckingham Palace."

"Are we all invited?" Anne's voice sounded out above everyone else and we all went silent. Understanding crossed the face of everyone as we all realized it was unlikely that Anne and W.D. would be allowed in on account of their skin colour.

We all looked to Phillip for an answer.

"I guess I'll just have to tell the queen either all of us go or none of us will." Phillip and Anne stared at each other and smiled as the room once again filled with cheers.

"The Queen of England."

"Can't get much better than that."