I

Museums. I always loved places filled with knowledge; libraries, schools, and especially museums. It was like being transported to another world, one in which I could admire the great, without shame.

When I was younger, I was shamed for reading history books more than talking or playing with other children. "Put down that book," "act your age," my parents would say. As I got older, it only got worse. Young men would be brought to court me and my parents would make comments such as "no one wants to marry a girl with her nose in a book," or "marriage will bring you more happiness than any story." Yet I would always turn the men away. They were all the same; followed societies practices, believed in proper manners, and anything that wasn't up to common standards was wrong.

No one understood that some of the most amazing things to ever happen, came from someone breaking the rules. Galileo said the world revolved around the sun, and because of his opposing view, he was put under house arrest. For goodness sakes, our God-dam country was given independence because we fought against the British rule, which they said was right!!!!

I never understood why people couldn't accept differences. It didn't make sense to me.

That's why I read so much; to escape the worst parts of society and experience all sorts of impossibilities.

One day, I had just returned to New York City and was climbing down the platform stairs to the streets below, when a lovely young girl with beautiful long, blonde, curly hair, handed me a pamphlet. Another girl and a man I assumed was their father, stood with her also handing out pamphlets.

"Come to the Barnum Museum!" they were saying to everyone who came down the stairs.

I could tell they weren't very successful. The ground had many of the same pamphlets littering it. When I was out of the crowd I took a moment to look at my own.

"P.T. Barnum presents Barnum's American Museum," I read out loud. I decided to go visit it after I brought my things back home.

--

It wasn't a very impressive building, but it was big. I could tell that it had been beautiful once but time and lack of care had worn it down.

I walked up to the booth and purchased a ticket. The man looked shocked when I approached, but I assumed it was because it was later at night and it was uncommon for women to be out alone. When I went inside the building was almost completely empty.

I was able to spend as much time as I wanted at each exhibit. It was nice being in the quiet.

"Hello. How are you liking the museum ma'am?" the man from the train station interupted the silence.

"It's lovely sir." I was able to get a better look at the man. He was older than me. He wore a black hat and red jacket and on his face was the biggest smile I had ever seen. His brown eyes were wide with excitement. I could tell he was surprised like the other man.

"P.T. Barnum at your service, miss," he spoke politely. He gestured to the empty rooms, "would you like a tour?"

"That would be lovely!"

He showed me around, letting me take my time with each exhibit, imputing a few bits of knowledge here and there.

Once we finished making our way around, I said good bye. "Goodnight Mr Barnum. I hope to see you again." I then made my way home, satisfied with my evening.