The Light That Passed Through The Clouds

Lighting poured from the sky as grey clouds swamped the light from entering and touching the earth. No thunder at all, just flashes that light up the firmament. It has been dark and gloomy for weeks now with no explanation of what’s going on. All over the news they state it is just huge thick clouds covering the whole of England but who would truly believe that is just the case.

Lying on the couch I flicked through the channels trying to find a station that doesn’t talk about these clouds.

“Is this what people talk about all day...”  I groaned and switched the TV off. I chucked the remote on the coffee table beside the couch before closing my eyes. It’s bothersome when the TV has boring shows and nothing else is interesting.

I live out near the countryside of west England near the Wales boarder. It’s quiet in the old village of Lyonshall. With a small population of 750 we manage to still get all we need as in food, water, clothes and home appliances.

My mum and I own a fairly large property with our own vegetable patch, water tank and some animals; sheep, cattle, chickens, two horses and of course Jack the border collie. My responsibility is looking out for the animals and feeding them every night as mum keeps the house clean. I also have a part-time job in Mike’s general store.

My Dad left my mum three years ago leaving everything for us to look after. I hate my dad with a passion. I like to help my mum out all that I can and make sure she doesn’t stress. My mother is a hard worker who gets depressed really easily and I like to cheer her up so she doesn’t do something bad. I love her and wish things would get better. Seeing her depressed hurts.

I get up off the couch and walk to her side in the kitchen. I hug her from behind giving her all my warmth to make her feel better. She puts down the knife she is using to cut up vegetables with as she is preparing for dinner and placed her fragile hands on my arms and leans against me.

“Joseph dear, I’m fine. Thank you.” She spoke softly with a gentle caring smile on her face. Her long brown hair fell to the side as I hugged her a little firmer. If I squeeze anymore it feels like she would shatter into a million pieces. She has grown skinny since dad left. I get her to eat all her dinner and other meals but I guess all we have isn’t as nutritious as you would get from foods grown in large populated areas.

I pressed my dark shaggy brown hair to hers and just hold her to tell her I’m here for you. I will do anything to make my mum truly happy.

“I know mum, I’m just looking out for you like you look out for me.”  I hoped my soothing words met her heart as I slowly let her fragile body go. She turned her head back to me and smiled softly before picking up her knife again to chop the carrots. “I’m just going to go for a walk. I won’t be too long okay? Oh and be careful not to cut yourself.” I kiss her check before she nodded and I left the kitchen. I walk down the hall to my room on the left then headed to the wooden drawer and pulled out a pair of socks.

I slipped them on and walked to the small closet, pulling out a thick grey hoodie. It’s always cool in England. In winter it snows quite severely and the roads gets covered completely that you can’t drive on it. But it’s only autumn so it’s not too cold but cool enough to wear thicker clothes if you’re not used to the cold. I already had long thermal track suit pants on to keep warm. I then head out of my small bedroom and walk to the door.

Jack came to greet me and wagged his tail happily. I patted his head with a warm smile and slid on my boots once my hoodie is on. Jack jumped up and put his paws on me. I laughed a little and sat down on the step of the door rubbing his back then he lay down and rolled on his belly. I smiled and gave his belly a scratch then stood up again with energy.