Eighteen: Rendezvous

Start from the beginning

Trees flew by in a blur, the sound of animals taking off at the scent of a predator skittered across the forest floor. The sun was beginning to set behind me, the air cooling considerably. The wind blew through my fur, my wolf enjoying the run since she hadn't been able to in days now.

By the time I had reached my destination it was almost completely dark. It was a pond, hidden deep in the woods. It was surrounded by thick brush and pine trees, almost completely concealed. Which was why it was used as a meeting point.

I walked up to the pond and lapped up the clean water when the sound of crunching leaves caught my attention. I lifted my head to see a small, dark red wolf come through the brush. She looked at me, clothes hanging out of her mouth and shook the leaves that had caught in her fur off. Then she walked behind the large boulder that sat on the side of the pond. While she was behind it I shifted and dressed quickly. She returned from behind it as I lowered my shirt.

She smiled as she reached me, hugging me.

"Blaine, how are you?" she asked, her curly red hair wild around her petite face.

"I'm good Cora, things have gotten interesting from the norm. Yourself?" she smiled.

"Oooh nothing, just, this!" she held up her left hand, her ring finger shining in the moonlight.

"Oh, my goodness! Congratulations!" I screamed back excitedly. Even though the Mating Bond as the wolf's equivalent to marriage, the human part of us still desired the traditional ceremony.

"The ceremony is planned for the Fall. You have to come and bring your Mates!" she squealed excitedly.

"Of course!" I paused at her sly look. Oh, no.

"By the waaaaay, tell me about these very impossible but somehow possible Mates of your?" she asked. I chuckled and shrugged.

"They are not what they seemed to be at first, that's for sure."

"And do they know what their pretty Mate does for work yet?" she asked, and I narrowed my eyes at her. She held her hands up in surrender.

"Well, I'll take that as a not yet." She said, "But you don't think they'll wonder what their Mate is doing in the dark of the night? Or how she makes money when she never goes to work?"

"I will tell them when the time is right. They are just really over protective is all." I said, remembering how Elijah and Emilio were both ready to kill McElroy for his transgression. Cora shrugged.

"Suit yourself." She said as she pulled a flash drive from her pocket.

"His name is Carter Rale, he was Rogued for the abuse of his two children and the murder of his Mate. He's been sighted in the Southern territories and has attacked the Gallen Pack several times. He even succeeded in killing one of the wolves guarding the border. He is to be brought in immediately, alive for questioning." I took the flash.

"Yes Ma'am." I said. She turned to head behind the boulder again, only to pop her head back out.

"Oh, and Ava?" she said.

"Yeah?"

"Your Mates should really know who they were destined with. Though we tend to keep our jobs a secret for safety purposes, our Mates should always know." She said before ducking behind the rock. I tucked the flash drive into the pocket of my pants and nodded to Cora, who was now her wolf. She nodded back before taking off in the direction she came from. I quickly pulled out my phone, knowing I had some small reception in this area due to it's regular use from the Council. I quickly dial the number I had memorized by heart. It rang twice.