Chapter Four

3 years later

I could see my mother wiping a tear from her eye in the crowd. I had just given my college graduation speech. I drove over to my parents house in my silver Nissan Altima it took 3 years and 4 part time jobs to earn enough cash for. My parents had beat me home. I walked up to the door step and checked under the mat for the key. An obvious hiding place. I unlocked the door and walked in "Dad you should find another place to hide the key you're going to get rob-"

"Surprise!" My parents shouted.

There were decorations everywhere and balloons saying "Congrats Grad!" and a big layer red velvet cake. My favorite. I ran and embraced my parents in a bear hug. "I love you guys." I said. "There's more." my dad said. He lead me to the inside of the kitchen and gave me a teddy bear that was holding a card. The front of the card read:

"You are living proof that good things come to those who are willing to work hard and sacrifice to reach a worthwhile goal.

Can't tell you how proud I am?"

I opened the card and 5 pieces of paper fell out of it. When I picked them up I squealed with delight. They were 2 tickets to Madrid, Spain and three 100€ bills. I hugged my dad and kissed him On the cheek. I've never been so happy about anything in my entire life. I stayed and we ate cake, laughed and chatted for almost two hours. It seemed like a few minutes. Unlike many people, I'm very close with my parents. I had to leave so I could get my U-haul and grab my things from my dorm and move out. My parents had said that after college they would let me put my stuff in their storage unit until I found an apartment. And who knows, I might find a place in Madrid.