Chapter 22: Fault

Start from the beginning

Since being banned from everything except her own house, Maya was stuck. Even her own brother didn't try his hardest to make the Association and the rest of the Hunters see reason. And with Kaname using her, the lies she willingly gave towards the Tanaka's would be brought to light sooner or later. 

The thought had crossed her mind, several times in fact. Maya wouldn't mind dying after all of this was over. It would save her a world of pain and hate, more than she was already currently experiencing. 

A knock sounded at the door. 

"Come in!" She stated, not bothering to get up from the couch. She set her gun on the couch pillow next to her crossed legs. She saw Kaito and Zero walk into the apartment dressed in their Hunter coats. "What are you two doing here? Has Kaien decided to let me free?"

It had been a week since the party, and there had still been no word or note that Kaname had talked to Kaien. She should have been out by now, she needed to get things over with. 

"That's what we came to talk to you about," Kaito said, taking a seat on the coffee table in front of her. Zero leaned up against the wall near her small bookshelf, arms crossed. "The Association has brought to light over the past couple of  months some things that you've hidden from us, and they are very, very angry with you."

Maya snorted, but a cold chill crawled down her spine. "What things?" She had been more than careful about what she'd done. 

"Kaien dug further since you weren't about to open your mouth and talk. Do you know anyone by the name of Akihiko?"

"What? No, what is this about?" The smile that she had had on her face had vanished. Akihiko was the rogue Hunter hit-man she had hired to do her dirty work that night a few months ago.

"He's a rogue Hunter and is used for hire by anyone who holds a grudge. The Association keeps tabs on every one of the Hunters, active or not. It took a long to shuffle through the list of Hunters who had contact with you this past year, seeing as you went on several missions." Kaito said. "...and I mean everyone. Akihiko was willing to talk, but for a high price and one that Kaien was willing to give. Akihiko said that you found and confronted him, paying him a large sum to shoot you."

Maya had gone quiet, her face blank. "Pft, that's ridiculous..."

"It isn't. That leads back to the pureblood family you 'rescued', so to speak. You made it so that it looked like you were saving their lives when really it was just to get close to them. Isn't that right?"

"I-..."

"What about your little private visits with Kuran, eh?" She could tell that was getting angry. "Has he got something to do with it? That pureblood is already under our radar because he's killed two purebloods already. You're helping him aren't you!"

"Kaito..." Zero said, straightening up from the wall. Maya averted her gaze to her knees. So much for stealth. Kaname was going to have her head or her brother's head. Whichever came first. 

"Kaien called the Tanaka family and explained what happened. He told them that they believed you were helping Kuran, to help him carry out his goals. Those purebloods were appalled, as was I! Do you realize how humiliating that is? To know that your sister, your blood, is siding with some bloodsucker so willingly? I thought you hated vampires! It's shameful and disgusting. If our parents or even Jax saw you now, what would they think of y-"

"Kaito!" Zero nearly had to shout. "Stop it!"

There was a pregnant pause in the room. Kaito was breathing heavily, now standing over Maya, who had not moved, she was afraid to move. Her throat felt tight, eyes burning with oncoming tears.