𝟷.𝟑 : 𝚂𝐨 𝙼𝐮𝚌𝐡 𝚂𝐰𝚎𝐚𝚝

ابدأ من البداية

          Dinner and an interactive show, she called it.

          Normally she would have washed up before eating, but Building was a major load of work and she was absolutely starving to the point where she almost started gnawing on a piece of wood. The air was a good five degrees cooler inside the Homestead. Not much, but good enough for her considering it felt like 100 degrees out in the sun—it most likely was. Most of the Gladers were already inside with their food, she searched the room quickly to find her friends as she picked up a sandwich, an apple, and a water bottle. Her eyes landed on a raised hand in the air connected to a beaming Scott who waved her over. She weaved between the tables and plopped down next to Scott, across from Gally and Dmitri.

          "You know," Gally said with a mouthful of food. She grimaced as he continued. "We should just come up with a name for you, at least until you remember your real name. It's kinda tough trying to catch your attention."

          "We already have, it's Greenie," Dmitri snorted.

          She rolled her eyes and bit into her apple, then taking a swig of water. "I mean, anything could be better than being called Greenie. Go for it."

          Scott nodded his head slowly, furrowing his eyebrows as he searched his mind for a name. "Alright, how about, uh... Gladys?"

          "No way! I'm not an old lady, Scott." She tried to appear annoyed with him, but she couldn't help but crack a smile as he teased her.

          "I kinda like it, it suits you. You're so cranky and bossy all the time, just like an old lady," Gally piped in.

          She scoffed and placed her hand on her chest in mock offense. "I am so not bossy and cranky! You're all delusional."

          "Me? Delusional? Please remind me again who's the one who fell out of a tree the other day."

          She threw her hands up in exasperation. Stupid boys pushing her buttons. "What, that wasn't even my fault! I was pushed. I could have died, does no one care that I had a near-death experience?"

          "Runners have near-death experiences nearly twice a week. You're not that special, kid," Scott said, earning an elbow to the abdomen.

          She scoffed yet again. "Kid? You're not that much older than me, kid."

          It didn't take them long to finally finish their food and take their time to get back to work. Gally standing up signaled the rest of the Builders to finish up and get back to work.

          The second she stood up, she tried her hardest to ignore the feeling of someone eyes glaring at her. It was a strange feeling: cold, making her shiver. She didn't want to turn around and see who it was, but she did anyway. Her breath hitched when her eyes immediately met those of a dark-haired boy glaring daggers at her with his arms crossed on the table. He didn't even try to hide the fact that he was staring straight at her and his eyes only narrowed further at their eye contact. She didn't hesitate to turn straight around and head towards the exit, the uncomfortable feeling following her along with his eyes on her.

          The second the heat of the sun landed on her, she unintentionally let out an exasperated sigh without realizing it. Dmitri noticed and nudged her with his shoulder. He asked, "You okay there?"

          Her head snapped up to his, eyes squinting at him through the sunlight. She cleared her throat and shrugged. "Uh, yeah. That was just... weird I guess."