Chapter Fifteen

Erma stomped out with her phone not much longer after that.

"Brilliant boy," breathed Myrtle to Jack, who was banging away on the piano keys again.

"Hear, hear," said Miles, holding up his lemonade in a toast.

There was a light tap on Miles's front door and Elaine opened the door. "Knock, knock," she said. She looked behind her before closing the door. "Erma looked sort of peeved. I hope Jack didn't do anything to upset her." Jack ran over from the piano, hugged his mother's legs, and then ran back to the piano to continue what appeared to be an opus.

"Jack thoughtfully erased Erma's vacation pictures so that I didn't have to upload them to the Bugle's social media," said Myrtle.

"Oh. Oh dear. No wonder Erma was a little cool to me on my way in," said Elaine with a sigh.

"Just keep your fingers crossed that continues," said Myrtle.

"How did the cast meeting go?" asked Miles.

"There was a lot of crying," said Elaine. "But then, these were actors."

Myrtle said, "So you think some of the emotion was faked?"

"I'm not sure if they could even help themselves. They act so much, it's like the skill transfers to their regular lives. Veronica's tears were definitely faked. Her eyes were blank. Skip seemed the most genuinely upset to me."

"Skip did?" asked Myrtle. "Because everyone seems to think Skip did it."

Elaine frowned. "I guess he could have. But if he did, he certainly seems sorry about it now. Blaine didn't cry, but maintained this sort of I'm-going-to-be-strong-for-the-cast posture."

"How tedious of him," said Myrtle. "The more I get to know these people, the less I like them."

"Cady Flosser was there and seemed distraught and fearful. Like she thought she might be next. Jumpy," said Elaine.

Myrtle said, "We'll have to run by and see her. She wasn't working at the diner, of course, since she was at the meeting."

Miles sighed. "More diner food. I'll need to make an appointment for a checkup after this investigation is through."

"And tell us about Winnie Granger's sudden arrival at the meeting," prompted Myrtle.

"It was very dramatic. But then, she has a background in the theater, too," said Elaine. "She swept in, tears in her eyes. She called out anyone who appeared to be grieving, saying that no one had the right to grieve more than she did. Winnie seemed furious, as if she had been shortchanged somehow."

Myrtle said, "Well, she was. But not by the cast members. By Roscoe. He was the one who was determined to keep their relationship a secret. And the fact that he did keep it a secret might have resulted in Nandina's death. If jealous Josie is the murderer, that is."

"I'm not sure if she's the murderer or not, but she's certainly efficient. Roscoe's funeral is tomorrow," said Elaine.

"Tomorrow!" chorused Miles and Myrtle.

Myrtle added, "The state police didn't need to do any forensic work?"

Elaine shook her head. "Not according to Red. It was pretty cut and dried. Roscoe was struck with a blunt instrument and then was pushed down the stairs. There was no forensic work needed for that. As far as any physical evidence at the site, I think there was tons since everyone used that exit and entrance. Anyway, the funeral is tomorrow morning at Grace Hill. Graveside service at eleven o'clock."