Nineteen - You Can Run Away With Me

ابدأ من البداية

"Whatever. It's fine. You're right. We could fall head-over-heels in love with each other and we still wouldn't be able to be anything." My voice came out harsher than intended, and there was a tense silence left behind after my words.

I didn't know how long the silence lasted, but when he did speak, it hurt. "You don't want to fall in love with me, Frank. You don't even want to consider it."

Too late.

He began to drive, turning the wipers on to clear the windshield. I stared defiantly out my window, fighting tears. I didn't want to cry - I knew that if I did, I'd ruin everything.

"We didn't exactly dress for the weather, did we?" He said, and I glanced at him briefly.

He was wearing his tightest pants and his leather jacket, with a black shirt underneath. I was wearing a black hoodie with his Misfits shirt and skinny jeans. So no, we weren't exactly dressed for the weather.

I looked back out the window, my lower lip beginning to tremble. I clenched my left hand into a tight fist on my knee as I felt tears slip slowly down my cheeks. A few minutes later, his hand curled around my fist, gently rubbing his fingers over my knuckles in an attempt to coax my hand to open. I opened it, letting him tangle his fingers with mine as he slowed down outside a Starbucks.

"Do you want a coffee?" He asked, and I nodded slowly. He kissed my cheek before letting go of my hand and climbing out of the car.

As soon as the door closed, I turned away from the window, burying my face in my hands. I let out a sob, my shoulders shaking. I didn't even know why I was crying. I mean, he was right. We are nothing. Just a teacher and student, screwing each other and breaking the law.

That B Grade isn't gonna earn itself, Frank.

I leaned my head back against the headrest, my eyes closed, and I took a deep, shaky breath. My tongue ran over my lips, and I pushed my hair back from my face. I stayed like that for a few minutes, jumping a little when I heard the driver's side door open.

"You okay?" Gerard asked, sliding into his seat and handing me a coffee. I nodded, taking a sip. "Are you sure?" He ran the backs of his fingers over my leg.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I murmured, and he placed his cup in the cup-holder in the middle of the car.

"You don't sound sure, honey." I just shrugged. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's okay." I lied.

"Frankie?" He cupped my cheek with one hand and I leaned into it, my eyes closing. "Talk to me."

"I'm fine, I promise." I turned my head, pressing a kiss to the palm of his hand. "Where next, Batman?"

He shrugged, a crooked smile on his face, as he started the car and pulled away from the coffee shop. "Anywhere you want."

"New York."

"Pennsylvania."

"Ohio."

"Washington."

"California."

"Mexico."

I smiled. "England."

He chuckled, but said nothing, keeping his eyes on the road. I placed a hand on his upper thigh, rubbing small circles with my thumb. If I fall in love with him, whether I want to or not, it's not my fault. And he has to accept that. Whether he likes it or not.

Gerard Way was either going to be or ruin my life, and the very thought was terrifying.

I didn't know how long we'd been driving for, but by the time he pulled over just outside a seaside town I didn't even know existed, I was subconsciously stroking and squeezing the inside of his right thigh.