TEN | Almost Always

"I can't believe you!" Tahlia snapped. "You fucked things up things with Doctor Reed so you can go see the fool that was too embarrassed to let you meet his family!" Lia was far from thrilled when Deanna told her exactly what happened last night. Dee thought Lia would react better with Simone and Traci there but she couldn't be more wrong.

"Lia shhh she was just getting to the good part." Traci waved her off. "Tell us all about Brian McKnight." Traci was eager to know the rest. Simone nodded in agreement.

"Girl he sang all of my favorite songs. Keith really went out of his way to make me feel special." Deanna told them her smile growing wide.

Tahlia kissed her teeth. "He didn't make you feel special Dee, Brian Mc freakin Knight did. Keith played you why would you even waste your time with him you could find better! Deanna don't be stupid" And just when Dee thought nobody could take the huge smile she had off her face Tahlia was slapping it down with her words.

"Says the girl who tried to hook me up with some idiot named Ray-Ray!" Dee shot back reminding Lia of that disaster date with that hot mess of a man she tried to hook her up with. "It was by far the worse date I have ever been on in my life and Tahlia you are the reason I was there!"

"Deanna I was only trying to help and you know what I wouldn't have had to do that if that idiot Keith didn't break your heart in the first place!"

"Shouldn't we be planning this wedding?" Traci asked she could tell this was turning out to be a full blown argument and if she had known it she wouldn't have pushed Deanna to finish her story about being sang to by one of her favorite R&B singers.

"Let's start talking about these bridesmaid dresses because Lia you know I'm not gonna be standing up there looking no troll!" Simone said picking up one of the many bridal magazines from the table.

Tahlia ignored them keeping her eyes on Deanna. "He will hurt you again and then you will be back to crying on my shoulder watch! "Tahlia was angry and it was only making Dee irritated with her.

"Lia is it so impossible for me to be in love with a man who loves me back! Yes he hurt me but he is trying. Everybody can't be as perfect as Will you know!" Deanna stood from her seat. "You know what I don't have time for this shit!" She snapped and without giving anyone a chance to say anything else she was storming off to her room.

"Damn Lia! You could have just let her have her moment." Simone shook her head.

"Yeah when was the last time Deanna really expressed being excited about a man." Traci added in. "I mean Lia the guy does seem like he is trying."

"Now I'm the bad guy! because I told her it was stupid for her to blow off David for Keith?." Tahlia rolled her eyes throwing her hands up in the air. "Trey am I wrong?"

Trey listened to Tahlia's and Deanna's little melt down with full on intentions of staying out of it. "It's none of my business." He mumbled grabbing his boots. Trey wasn't about to get in between these two. It's best to let the besties work it out on their own.

"No, tell me! What did I say that was so wrong!"

"I gotta get to work." Trey got himself a job. No it wasn't his dream job but it was a pay check and for that he was grateful.

"Trey!" Tahlia shouted. 

"Lia sometimes you just need to mind your damn business!" He told her and she gasped.

"I know how to mind my business I'm just looking out for my best friend."

"No you're trying to control her love life," Trey always loved that his little half sister could take control of situations but this wasn't her situation to take control of. "You may think it was the wrong decision to make. Shit everyone around her can think it. Still, it's her decision to make, bottom line."

Lia frowned. "Fine! I'll go talk to her." She mumbled standing up.

"Nah I got this one you work on your wedding." Trey doubted Deanna wanted to see Tahlia's face right now anyway. He slipped on my boots and went to make sure Deanna was okay.

He knocked on it lightly choosing to ignore her shouting for him to "GO AWAY!" and pushed the door open anyway.

"Wassup?" Trey asked leaning against the door frame.

"I don't feel like talking about it!" Deanna pouted laying back on her bed with her arms folded over her chest.

"Talk about what? I came in here cause I need a ride to work." He lied

"Oh." She sat up on her bed. "Uh yea sure...just give me a minute." He could tell she felt a little silly assuming he came in here to get her to talk which he did but she didn't need to know that. It was all part of Trey's plan to get her to say how she feels without feeling like he was pressuring her to do so. 

~~~~~~

"So you're working now. that's good." Deanna was proud of him. She knew how tough job searches can be. Everybody wanted you to fill out an online application but yet nobody seemed to hiring. With all the drama with Niyah and Trey wanting to do more for his daughter. Dee was just glad things were finally looking up for him.

"Yeah my pops really looked out for me by getting Sal to put me on, I guess he's good for something. It's fixing cars but hey it's a job. By the looks of it I'll be off your couch soon."

"There's no rush..I ..I kind of like having you around." She admitted. With Tahlia getting married she would be moving in with Will soon and if Trey was rushing to get a place of his own She'd officially be on her own and Deanna wasn't completely sure if she was ready for that.

They rode in silence for a few minutes before she asked. "Trey do you think he is out to hurt me. I mean he says he isn't but how am I supposed to know? guys think with their dicks and us women we think with our hearts and our hearts almost always lead us in the wrong direction."

"The man got Brian McKnight to serenade you I doubt he went that hard because he's thinking with his dick."

"Yeah. yeah you're right! But Lia says..."

"Tahlia is looking out for you. You know that right? she isn't trying to put you down."

"I know but her telling me Keith will hurt me is starting to give me anxiety It's bad enough I already have relationship PTSD."

Trey looked at her and laughed. "You don't get PTSD from dating Deanna."

"You say that cause you're the one giving women relationship PTSD. Don't think I don't know." She told him just as they pulled up to his job.

Trey nodded. "Thanks for the ride Dee." He got out the car then turned back. "And Deanna this Keith guy would be a fool to hurt you again. And trust me coming from a guy that almost always thinks with his dick that's saying a lot."