NINE | Back At One

"Calm down Deanna." Dee told herself. Finding the perfect outfit for her date with DrSexyPants was so much harder than she originally thought it would be. She stood in her robe looking down at the dresses laid out across her bed. None of them would do. In her mind nothing in her closet came close cutting it. Her room was a mess due to her changing in and out of so many outfits and carelessly tossing them around when she felt like it didn't look right on her body.

"I'm pretty sure the process of elimination shouldn't be this difficult." Trey's voice seemed to come out of nowhere. Deanna quickly turned around seeing him leaning up against her bedroom's door frame. 

"I thought you would be gone by now." His eyes went from her to the mess she made of her room that came from trying to pick the perfect outfit.

"Doctor Ree- David, David won't be here for another half hour or so."

"Yet you don't seem happy about that at all. Got anything to do with those flowers you got yesterday?"

Deanna got rid of those damn flowers Keith sent her yesterday. But the card? She held onto it. Telling herself it was a reminder that Keith wasn't the 'one that got away' but the one who took her love for granted and now had to live with that....You're damn right if you feel like her reason is bullshit because it was just that. Deanna held onto that card because it gave her 'hope'. Hope she shouldn't even want when it came to a relationship with Keith but it was what she had now.

"I just. I can't stop thinking about him now." Tonight she was going on a date with a really really great guy and she couldn't even focus on that because her mind was so stuck on Keith. "Don't tell Tahlia that..Okay?" 

"Why does it matter it Lia knew it or not? Keith is your ex not hers."

"Tahlia won't take it well. She'll just tell me I'm stupid and that I should move on. She'll think I'm giving him another chance."

"Sounds like you are to me."

Deanna sighed heavily flopping down on her now messy bed. " don't know what I'm supposed to do."

"Do what you want. But I'll tell you right now from what I heard this guy doesn't deserve a second thought let alone a second chance.

~~~~~~

David looked good. More than good and Deanna was sitting across from him dining at a small secluded candle lit table enjoying one of the most tasteful meals she'd ever had in her life in a restaurant she herself couldn't afford to eat at. They chatted about a list of things but still Deanna wasn't feeling it and David noticed. He wasn't stupid he felt the disconnect and couldn't stop himself from asking. 

"Did I do something wrong?" He knew it was likely that he didn't.

"No I...I'm having a good time. I just." This man was gorgeous. The finest glass of wine she'd ever seen and here she was stuck thinking of the card she kept in her purse with a message from her ex-lover who was ashamed to be seen with her.

"I get it. Some things just don't click." David wasn't going to force things where they didn't fit although he wanted it to.

They did however finish up the meal and it was around 10:30 when Deanna decided to call a cab she felt like her heart was somewhere else and call her fool but she was going to follow it.

~~~~~~

"I don't think she's coming."

"She'll be here. I can feel it. She's just a little late" Keith prayed on it and as if on que there was a knock at his door he damn near stumbled over his own feet. Pulling the door open there she stood. As beautiful as ever and it pained Keith that he was ever ashamed of her. Scared to show Dee off because he feared what others would think.

"Deanna-"

"You wanted to see me?" Her face remained emotionless but inside all the nerves in her body were shaking.

"Come in please."

Against her better judgement Deanna stepped inside. The place was dimly lit and in the corner stood a tall man he almost scared her before Deanna saw who it was.

"Keith is that-"

It's undeniable that we should be together

It's unbelievable how I used to say that I'd fall never

The basis is need to know if you don't know just how I feel

Then let me show you now that I'm for real

If all things in time, time will reveal, yeah

One, you're like a dream come true

Two, just wanna be with you

Three, girl, it's plain to see

That you're the only one for me

The man standing there was Brian Mcknight THE Brian Mcknight. People didn't understand what a huge fan of his Deanna really was and there he stood in Keith's living room singing one of her favorite songs.

And four, repeat steps one through three

Five, make you fall in love with me

If ever I believe my work is done

Then I'll start back at one, yeah yeah

It's so incredible, the way things work themselves out

And all emotional once you know what it's all about, hey

And undesirable for us to be apart

I never would've made it very far

'Cause you know you got the keys to my heart

Keith lead Deanna to the middle of his living room that he set up to look like a dance floor just for tonight. 

"That's Brian McKnight!" Deanna kept repeating over and over. "I love Brian McKnight" God his music sure does know how to make a woman feel loved.

"I know." Keith nodded. "And I love you Deanna I really do." He looked her in her eyes and they kissed while swaying back and forth listening to the beautiful voice of Brian McKnight.