That Night

(WANG DAO)

"That was an intense moment, Father," I exclaimed as I relay the story to my father and sister. "The Empress was truly mad. Something about a night and things that cannot be forgiven. I wonder what that is?"

Father calmly poured tea on our cups and handed one to my grim faced Baba. After the debacle last night, Baba was given a day off from his work to rest. Baba just secured the prisoners on the dungeon and took me home. The First Minister and those guards will not go anywhere.

"They say hell hath no fury against a woman scorned," Baba said. "I never thought those words can be true until I saw the Empress last night. I wonder what happened for her to be jealous like that," Baba wondered.

I look my sister. "What can Prince Jin do for you to hate him? That you will also hate his child from another woman."

"If he will have a child from another woman," Hua said in bland tone while raising an eyebrow at me like I am the most stupid person she unfortunately met.

She frustrate me, "I...that is not what I meant. You know that Prince Jin was already born when his mother was banished and replaced. The Empress already took her place, what more could she want?"

"The Emperor's heart." Father said before sipping his tea. "I can sympathize with her situation, in a degree. Like her, I was also a replacement for someone else..."

"Dayu ah, you are not a replacement." Baba's face flushed as he protested. "I have never loved anyone but you..."

Father smiled, "And for that, I am grateful. But what if you loved the twin's mother first? What then? The Emperor's love for his first wife was well known. His love for their son was also evident. The current Empress didn't have that. She was thrust to the position when the Princess XiLen was banished from the Palace. She didn't had a courtship like Hua have now. And everyone knew her position was given to her by her father. The woman has her pride too. I don't know about that night she is talking about but whatever happened that night, she was hurt."

"And if a woman's heart is damaged, however good she is, it will turn bitter and hateful? Is that right, Father?" Hua asked.

"It depends on the person, Hua. We don't know the Empress and the hurt she is feeling. But that also doesn't give her any right to hurt someone else. Even if that someone is the son of the woman she felt jealousy with. It's wrong...to seek revenge that way." Father sighed. "I know. Believe me when I said that it's wrong."

Baba reach out to take Father's hand in his. Our parents look at each other and sigh together. Their hands remained touching.

One day, I will ask about my parents' secrets. Their past. And about the start of their love.

One day...I will ask.

But for now...

"What do you think the Emperor will do, Captain?" Father asked Baba.

"I don't know," Baba shook his head regretfully. "But one thing is for sure, he cannot throw away his Empress. That will put a shade on Crown Prince Han's character. The newly appointed Crown Prince must remain strong with a pure reputation on his name. A mother who will confess to a sin of plotting to kill a Prince will surely put a blight on the Crown Prince's name."

"Is Prince Jin in a right mood, Baba? How is he?" Hua asked, concern for his Prince.

"Prince Jin and Prince Guo will surely held court now. They will try their best to make sure everything in the Palace is going as smooth as usual. Outward appearance is important. With the Imperial Couple in silent turmoil, the Princes will make sure to act accordingly to hide it from everyone. Their parents in dispute will surely affect the Princes."