Identity

(WANG DAO)

We had lunch with Uncle Jiang. The conversation on the table focused on his traders and business and Uncle Jiang's time with Baba in Hanzong Military Base.

I observed that Father and Hua are quiet. I remained silent as well. I just speak up when Uncle Jiang or Baba asked me a question and I am required to answer.

When lunch was over, Baba and Uncle Jiang closeted themselves in Baba's office in my parents' quarter. Hua went to her room to get ready for Prince Jin's arrival while I went to my own room to...well...to mope.

I laid on my bed and stared at the things scattered on top of my study table but not seeing them.

I am thinking. Thinking deep. Uncle Jiang encouraged me to try. To see what I can do without my Baba and Father guiding me. To test myself and the skills I have acquired while training under my parents' supervision.

Can I make it? Can I do it? Can I survive it? Being away from my family?

I know I need more training. I know I am not strong enough. I am aware that I am still lacking. But at the same time, I know I am better than most of the soldiers in the Palace Military Base. I had trained with Baba there. I watched how the soldiers there train and combat with each other. I know I am far superior than them in techniques and skills. And that is not boasting. That's the truth.

So what should I be afraid about? I doubt if the teachings and training in the military base is harder than my Father's teaching and Baba's training. I think I will be okay there. I can beat anyone who will be matched to me in the fighting arena.

But still...I don't like to be away from my family.

"Dao ah?"

I sat abruptly when Father called for my name. My eyes widened when I saw him standing beside my bed and looking down at me.

Father is frowning, "I have called your name six times now. I also knocked twice but you didn't answered. What is on your mind that you seem to lost conciousness of your surroundings?" Father asked.

I sighed and look down, "I am just thinking about the Emperor's condition to let Hua have her happy ending..." I look up after giving that answer.

"I see," Father stared at me before he sat on the edge of the bed to level with me. "Dao ah, may I ask you a question?"

I nodded, "Yes, Father."

Father gave me a sad smile, "Do you think...do you feel like we love Hua more than you?"

"Huh?" I was genuinely confuse at his question.

Father swallowed, "Dao ah, I will repeat the question. Do you think your Baba and I treasure Hua more than you? Do you think we regard her higher than you? That we prioritize her happiness more than yours? Do you harbor such thinking, son?"

I snorted, "No. That's a ridiculous thing to think about, Father."

Do I think Baba and Father love Hua more than me? Of course not. Now, if Father is asking if he is more protective of Hua than me, then sure, maybe my answer will be yes. But even in that I am not a hundred percent sure.

Father gave a relieved smile, "Truly? You don't think that we look at Hua more favorably than you?"

I nodded, "Yes, Father. I know how much you and Baba love me. I know how important I am to you and to Baba..."

"Yes," Father grasped my hand. "You should know that, right? We have never gave you any reason to doubt our love for you. So you know...how much Baba and I love you. Right?"