22

I moped around the apartment for a while, walking to the couch every half-hour, making sure that Matt was still breathing and that his heart was still beating. Fortunately, I had yet to check up on him and find that he wasn't functioning. 

I didn't want to leave the apartment in fear that I'd get abducted or attacked, but I was bored out of my mind of pacing around in the small area. I didn't have Matt's protection at the time, and he was lying half-dead on his couch, so I felt like I owed him to stay around until he woke up.

I eventually left the television on a cartoon channel, padding over to the fridge to get some lemonade. There was a creak that came from outside the front door, but I disregarded it. I wasn't completely paranoid yet. 

While pouring the lemonade from its large container into a glass, I heard a loud gasp for air, causing me to almost drop the lemonade and spill it all over the kitchen counter. 

Matt must be awake. I put the lemonade down as I rushed to his side. He was conscious, clutching his chest as he heaved for air. 

"Take it easy. You've got some sever injuries," I coaxed him, helping him sit up. He grunted in pain, before trying to stifle any other sounds of weakness. 

"Can I get some water?" he asked, his voice more cracky and raspy than usual. 

"Of course," I say, walking over to the kitchen and pouring him some water.

He eagerly took the glass when I returned, drinking it so fast that he almost choked. I took the glass from him when he was done and placed it on the coffee table.

"Thank you, Skyler," he said, exhaling loudly.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, folding my legs as I sat on the ground next to the couch.

"I have a pounding headache and my muscles ache, but other than that, I'm okay," he says, smiling slightly and pressing his head into a pillow. 

"So what's going on?" I ask him, alluding to last night's events that almost caused him to die.

"Well, I got in a fight with a Japanese mob boss. He eventually got lit on fire and died, and then Wilson Fisk came over and beat me to a pulp," he explained, making me cringe.

"That sounds like a fun time," I say sarcastically, "don't you think you need some kind of armor? That flimsy old long-sleeve shirt doesn't seem like it's cutting it."

He broke into a big grin before speaking, making me smile. "Yeah, I've thought of that. Fisk has some type of lining in his suit that's strong and light. I have an idea who helps him make the suits."

"That's good," I say, standing up, "want anything for breakfast?"

"Sure."

I walked to the fridge and took out a couple eggs and a package of bacon. I decided to make fried eggs and put a couple slices of bacon on the side, nothing major. Matt continued laying on the couch, unmoving. He was probably in so much pain that the only thing he wanted to do was keel over and fall into a coma. He should probably go to the hospital and get some professional help, because there's only so much I can do without proper technology, training, and education. 

I know that he'd be against the idea, but I'll bring it up later when the topic comes around. 

I split the food into two plates, giving him twice as much as I gave myself. I wasn't terribly hungry, whereas he was probably starving. After setting the plates on the dinner table, I helped Matt to his seat.

He smiled at the smell of food, grabbing the utensils before awkwardly searching his plate for a piece of bacon. I found it weird, as he usually has an exceptional sense of smell.

"You doing all right there?" I question as he finally locates a piece of bacon and starts cutting it with his knife.

"Yeah, just... tired," he replies sheepishly.

"Are you ever going to go to the hospital?" I blurt out.

"What for? I have you, don't I?" he says matter-of-factly, my heartstring twinging at his affectionate wording. I even felt my face heat up. At this, I was almost glad that Matt wasn't feeling his best because otherwise he'd definitely know that I was blushing.

"Well, yeah, but I'm not exactly professionally trained with the type of injuries you get. I'm just a physical therapist," I reply, putting my fork down as I finish my last piece of egg.

"I don't really like hospitals. There's the looming sense that you're going to die, the food tastes like garbage, and everything's so expensive," he says, making me nod.

"But I guess if you really want me to go, I'll go. But you're not leaving my side. Wouldn't want to get abducted again," he agrees, winking. 

-

Author's Note: Hey guys! Sorry it took me so long to update this story. Stupid AP tests. Anyway, school's ending in a month so expect more updates! Thanks for reading, and I don't forget to vote and leave a comment.