Something like fate.

That Wednesday was the last day of my junior year. Only one more year to go and I'd be done! Mallory and I hugged at the last bell even though we'd be seeing each other later that night for our annual end of the year party we had with our two families.

I drove home after school and grabbed a granola bar before making my way to the shore. I collapsed in the sand with my camera and took pictures of the wild ponies galloping through the shallow water. I held the camera up to my eye to focus it but something stepped in the way. I removed the camera to see Adam Foster standing before me.

"Funny seeing you here." He tilted his head in amusement as I quickly stood up and brushed the sand off my white shorts. Adam gestured at the camera in my hands and asked, "Do you do that much?"

I nodded. "Photography is basically my life."

He studied my face for a moment. "You look like a photographer. Has anyone ever told you that?"

"I can honestly say they haven't."

Adam explained what makes me look like a photographer and I began to notice how picturesque this scene was. The blue waves and wild ponies made a breathtaking background and Adam's dark hair set the whole picture.

"Um, Adam?" I interrupted.

"Hmm?"

"Do you mind if I take a picture of you? The scene is just kind of perfect right now."

Adam laughed. "Shoot me." He smiled at the camera and I snapped a few shots. I approved the pictures before fastening the camera strap around my neck again.

I peeked at my phone and winced. Lately I was overlooking the time.

"I have to get to a party now, actually. I'll see you later."

I turned and walked back the way I came. The party was going to start in an hour and I still had to help my mom clean the house.

Before I'd gone too far, I turned back one last time. Adam was standing with his hands at the back of his neck, facing the ocean. The light was already darkening and made for the perfect lighting. I snapped another picture of his silhouette before turning back around and heading home.