Chapter Eight: Searching

Zacznij od początku

Daryl then clears his throat awkwardly to gain our attention. "We're gonna head back to the creek," He decides. "Work our way back from there."

"I can still be useful," Shane sighs. "I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back."

Rick nods his head. "Alright, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right."

"That means we can't have our people out there with just knives," Shane points out. "They need the gun training we've been promising them."

"I'd prefer you not carrying guns on my property," Hershel jumps in. "We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp."

"All due respect, you get a crowd of those things wandering in here..."

"Look, we're guests here," Rick reminds Shane before turning his attention back to Hershel. "This is your property and we will respect that." He glances around between all of us before he pulls his Python out of his holster, placing it on the hood of the car. Shane rolls his eyes before doing the same. I follow suit, sadly placing Rick's old gun on the truck. "First things first: Set camp, find Sophia."

"I hate to be the one to ask, but somebody's gotta," Shane says. "What happens if we find her and she's bitten? I think we should all be clear on how we handle that."

Rick hesitates, a guilty look on his face. He still blames himself for Sophia and as much as I try to convince him it wasn't his fault. He won't believe me. "You do what has to be done."

I look away from his sad face. As much as I knew it was the truth, I couldn't think of it, I couldn't bear the thought.

"And her mother?" Maggie asks. "What do you tell her?"

"The truth," Andrea replies. I nod in agreement.

"I'll gather and secure all the weapons, make sure no one's carrying till we're at a practice range off-site," Shane offers. "I do request one rifleman on lookout." He expresses to Hershel. "Dale's got experience."

"Our people would feel safer, less inclined to carry a gun," Rick adds in hopes to convince Hershel, he thinks for a moment before nods his consent.

"Thank you." Rick says.

Getting ready for the hunt I make sure I have my knife. I knew I could get my gun back only for the hunt, having to return it when I get back. I walk up to Shane as he is packing more guns.

"May I have Rick's old gun?" I ask.

"Why are you going? What are you trying to prove, Esme?" He looks at me upset.

"I'm not trying to prove anything other than I am capable. Besides, we all should be looking. This is a child, and I can't just not do anything. I have to help."

He shakes his head then nods. "Fine but you better be careful."

"Always, brother." I say as he hands me my gun.

I head to where Daryl is waiting. "Ready?" He grumbles and I nod.

Daryl and I walked in silence for about an hour before we find an old farmhouse. I stop just right outside the house as Daryl goes straight up to the doors and kicks them in, I shake my head at his antics. I follow him inside and scan through the first floor. I keep my eyes open for anything out of place. I grab my gun out of the holster as I scan the opposite room from Daryl. There isn't anything in sight that could let us know Sophia was near. Disappointed I go to where Daryl is in the kitchen.

"It's still fresh." He says as I look at the can of food in his hand.

"You think she can still be near?" I ask with hope.