XIX: Everyone Wins

Start from the beginning

~ Peyton's Point of View ~

Present time

Air was knocked out of my lungs when I ended up crashing into the stacks of crates from across the shed.

The woman laughed at my state, blood still running down the side of her head. "Don't tell me you're already getting tired, Pan."

I spat out what tasted like metal and forced myself back up on my feet. "I'm just getting started."

This fight was already decided before it even begun.

I know I had no chance of getting the upper hand against this woman, her attempt to kill me in the abandoned park made that clear.

But that never stopped me before.

I still had Harry's dagger in my hand and managed to put a gash on the woman's temple just a second ago.

She said I got lucky, I told her it had nothing to do with luck.

"Face it, you're no match for me. Not even your little dust gimmicks are gonna save you now."

I looked down on the small pouch tied to my belt and saw that I'm running out of makeshift dust to fly with. Its not like the authentic thing that could have me airborne for hours, but in my situation, it'll have to do.

"Let's end this." She raised her gun in my direction once again, then pulled the trigger.

I threw my body to the side and was able to dodge as I got back on my feet. "Don't count me out just yet. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve." I smirked, spinning the blade in my hand. "And you're all out."

She snickered and kept up her bluff by pointing the barrel at me. "You'll loose your mind trying to predict my every move."

"I'm not even trying. Earlier you hit me with that gun of yours, and it felt hollow. I'm guessing you had six shells then. Two hits, three missed- one last bullet at best."

"So that's why you kept running around with your magic dust- to make sure I'd waste every round, is that it?" She scoffed. "Sorry to disappoint, but this one has twelve shells. Which means your deduction is off and you've done nothing but wear yourself out and waste your resources until now."

I grabbed the last hand full of dust and used it on myself to make me hover over the ground. "Guess you caught my bluff. Even this dust is a joke- it only takes at least three minutes to lose its effect."

The woman followed me with her gaze as I flew up.

"You were right, I never had a chance at beating you. But if it's any consolation for me," I watched her eyes went wide at the sight of the objects floating above her. "I was merely stalling."

On cue, the three minutes were up, and down came the wooden debris of crates and barrels, sacks of cement and several tools that I found lying around.

At the time I wasn't really throwing my dust at random, I was actually aiming for things that I could use against her, all the while keeping her attention low on the ground with my poor attempts at assaulting her.

All the weight of the objects rained down on her all at once and buried her underneath the heap.

I sighed out loud in exhaustion, then landed on top of the stack. With what little strength I had left, I pushed the wooden debris away until I found the woman's unconscious body.

There were cuts and bruises all over her body. Compared to my bullet wounds, those were merely scratches. But I'll call it even, for now.

I pressed two fingers to her neck to checked for a pulse.