Chapter 48. The Divine Move

Start from the beginning

Stiles swallowed, “I’m fine. How are you in here?” 

“I was going to ask you the same thing, this isn’t right.” I stammered. This was in my head, they’re in my head.

“Because Kasey,” as soon as the voice left the Nogitsune Stiles’ grip on my waist tightened and he didn’t hesitate to position his body in front of mine. I peeked around his shoulder and found the Nogitsune in front of the door I had came through. “Like I promised you, we’re going to kill all of them. One by one.” he growled. 

The Oni appeared on his command and I shrank back. This is all of my fault. They came here to save me and now they are trapped in my head somehow. This doesn’t make any sense. 

An Oni swung at Kira, but she effortlessly deflected the blade. The swords hit one another and the metallic clank they made gave me goosebumps. This was all too real, too real to just be in my head. 

“What the hell is this? Where are we?” Scott demanded as the Oni began to circle us. Stiles kept his arm wrapped around, his eyes watching the Oni intensely. 

The Nogitsune took a step forward, “Between life and death.” 

“Bardo.” Lydia stated breathlessly. I remember Kira talking about that a several days ago, back when the nightmares were just starting to become an issue. Who would have thought they would have transpired into this. 

“But there are no peaceful deities here, Lydia. You’re dying, Kasey. And now everyone you care about is dying, too.” the Nogitsune said. 

I stepped around Stiles, positioning myself in front of him for the time being, “What? What do you mean?”

“I’ve captured almost all of the territories on the board, Kasey. The hospital, the Sheriff’s station, and now the Animal Clinic.” he said as he held his hand in the air and clenched his fist. 

My eyes widened, “This isn’t a game! I gave you what you wanted! Leave them alone.” I said loudly, the speed of my heart beats increasing. 

“Oh, but it is…” he mused as he began to pace around. “Do you know the ritual of seppuku, Kasey?”

“No,” I said quickly. He was getting closer to Stiles and I, and because I was more concerned for Stiles safety than my own, I repositioned myself in front of him and wrapped an arm behind me, making sure his hip was pressed against mine. “And I don’t think I want to, either.”

“When a samurai disembowels himself with his own sword to maintain his honor, but that’s not the cut that kills him. The killing stroke is made by his kaishakunin who beheads the samurai with his own katana.” he explained. 

I swallowed thickly as I watched him point to my brother, “Scott… Scott is your kaishakunin. I’m going to make your brother kill you, Kasey. And you’re going to let him. Because just like you, they’re all going to die. Everyone touched by an Oni’s blade. Unless, Scott kills you first.” 

The Nogitsune was now standing directly in front of me. Stiles had grabbed a handful of my shirt in his hand, pulling me back slightly. Scott was glaring daggers at the Nogitsune as I started to breathe even heavier than I had been. 

“Why? Why are you doing this?” I asked, my voice shaking. 

“To win the game.” he stated evenly. 

The Oni drew their swords and Scott shifted, Kira pulled out her blade, and that left Lydia, Stiles and myself to back away from the fight that we were ill-prepared for. Stiles led us behind the small red bridge in the corner, I realized that he was a lot weaker than I had intentionally thought, because he was leaning on me for support.