Chapter 6

It's Saturday morning at 4:55am.

Grace thinks to herself, Why is my phone ringing five minutes before my alarm is supposed to go off? Leave me alone people. Can't a girl sleep five more minutes?

Sleepily, she reaches up to look at her phone and sees it's Mac calling. Her heart begins to race in a mild panic as she hurries to answer. "Hello?"

"Hi Grace. It's me." Grace can tell he's been crying but he's trying to be tough and hide it.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" she says groggily but concerned.

"My dad called me very, very late last night. My mom has been critically ill the last six months and she passed away three days ago."

"Oh sweetheart. I'm so sorry."

"Thanks. Just wanted to call and tell you that I won't be at work today... don't want you to be alarmed."

"Okay, no worries. I'm glad you're safe. I was worried when I saw your name come up on my phone."

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just shaken and sad."

Grace hears strange yet familiar sounds coming through the phone. "Are you at the airport?" she asks.

"Yeah. Last night after my dad called, I booked the next possible flight to Miami. Her funeral is today. The bastard wasn't planning on telling me until after. Listen, I've gotta go. They just called my ticket to board. I'll text you when I land."

"Who's picking you up from the airport? When will you be back? Do you need a ride home? Do you have enough money?"

"Grace. It's okay. I'm okay. If I need anything, I'll let you know. Thank you, though."

"Mac?"

"Yes Grace."

"I love you, ok?"

"I love you, too." And with that, Mac hung up the phone and boarded his nonstop flight to Miami. This was not the way he wanted to be reunited with his family. Even though he hadn't seen her in years, suddenly, Mac missed his mom very much.

---

When Mac landed in Miami around 8:30 in the morning Milwaukee time (9:30 Miami time), he immediately hailed a taxi. Without wanting to waste any time finding a hotel, Mac asked the driver to take him directly to Ferdinand Funeral Home on 8thstreet. The drive should've been no more than 15 minutes but there was an accident on 27thAvenue which caused some delays. Mac was anxious. The ceremony for his mother's funeral was set to start at 10:00am Miami time. Mac's dad barely gave him enough time to book a flight and get to the funeral home. Now with this traffic, he was worried he'd be late. Fortunately, the taxi driver was smart enough to reroute and got Mac to the funeral home by 9:53. He tipped the driver and headed inside with his backpack in hand.

As Mac walked in the back doors, the priest began ushering everyone into a conference room, of sorts, stating he'd begin the service in roughly five minutes and that everyone should take their seats. Mac's dad sat alone in the front seat and Mac went to take his place next to him. No sooner did Mac sit down and his father stood up, stifled a tear, grunted, and moved to sit in a seat across the aisle. Mac was stunned. After all these years it was clear that his father still didn't approve of him, still didn't accept him.

The priest came in a moment later and began the service. Mac just stared at his dead mother laying still in the casket. When did she get so old? he thought. Why hadn't my dad told me sooner that she was ill? Why hadn't my mom called me herself? Her only child... wouldn't she at least have wanted to see me? Wouldn't she have wanted to make amends knowing she was dying? Anger began to burn within him.