I'm Getting You Out!

Elaina Wells

Jake was sitting at the gray table. His head was hung in a downwards position and he was slouched, looking at the table. Both of his hands and feet were shackled, two Guards on either side of him "in case something were to happen". I doubted anything bad would actually happen. I hoped nothing bad would happen.

I sat down across from the three of them and stared straight at the Guards. "I'm not like most 'Therapists' these days. I actually believe in HIPAA and confidentiality." They were the same thing, but nowadays no one knew what HIPAA was. Jake bit his lip. Both Guards returned my frown and switched it on me. All I did was cock an eyebrow.

"As do we." Bullshit. "We're simply here for your safety, Ms. Wells."

"That's Doctor Wells. Hello, Jacob." He finally looked up at me. He looked so sad and afraid. Like a scared animal in a shelter. I smiled a friendly smile at him.

"Hello, Doctor."

"You can call me Elaina." he looked unsure, as if he felt this was a trap of some sort. "I just want to make you feel comfortable, so you know it's okay to talk to me and ask any quesitons if need be. Beefcake and Brawn, however need to address me by my Professional title." One of them gruffed.

"You know you're being recorded?" Jake's eyes widened. I got close to the Guard that spoke.

"Then I suppose we're even for calling me Miss." I read his name tag. "Officer Jefferson." He nodded his head once.

"I suppose we are." I turned my attention back to Jake.

"As you know, this conversation is being recorded. Don't be afraid. It's for my Transcripts and for proof that you're stable enough for this project. Do you consent to this meeting?"

"Yes, ma'am." It was strange having someone older than me that had watched over me call me ma'am. I knew it was a sign of respect, it was just odd to me. It wasn't anything new for me to be called that by Prisoners, but with Jake it was different.

"How old were you when you were taken?"

"I can't remember. I was young."

"How old are you right now?" He hesitated.

"I also don't know..." He looked away, embarrassed. I shot the Guards an awful luck. I knew it wasn't their fault this happened, but it shook me to the core.

"Do you know the year you were born in?"

"2094."

"You're 25." He's been here for over a decade.

"I guess I missed all the good years, huh?" He joked. I smiled. The old Jake was still in there somewhere.

"Yeah, you'll have time to celebrate soon." He gave me a look that said, Yeah, right. "You went to the first Prison in our state in the beginning of all this mess. What made you transfer to the Medium Security one?"

"I got into trouble for fighting. They say I'm violent. But they don't know my story."

"Do you think you're violent?" He shrugged.

"I don't think I am. Just defensive. I always have been. The first transfer-well, all of the transfers could have been avoided. It's just so damn hard."

"Why is it hard?"

"In the beginning I was scared. These kids were people I knew. We got fucking castrated when we hit puberty! That wasn't supposed to piss everyone off? How can someone let this happen? People were complete assholes. I tried to survive. Look where that got me. I wish I was dead."