A Hero That Stalks

I make it in time to see Jay on the east side of the wall. He's there, finishing a piece of cheese. I jog up to him and he looks up.

"So, why do you want to talk to me?" I ask.

Jay stands up and holds out his hand, "Let's start again. Hey, I'm Jay."

I eye his hand, "Hayden."

He grins, "You're not going to shake my hand?"

One thing that you learn in street fighting is not to trust anyone. A hand shake can end up with you flipped over and on the ground.

"What do you want, Jay," I cross my arms over my chest.

He smirks and withdraws his hand, "You're smarter than I thought. You think I would trick you?"

"Yes."

"I wanted to talk to you about... our world," Jay sweeps his bangs out of his eyes.

"Save your lectures for the government," I say.

"Feisty one aren't you?" he has a small smile on his face.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes.

"Do you know why I spend my time on this side?" Jay asks me.

"Cause you have to," the words immediately spill out of my mouth.

He laughs, "Oh, Hayden. You never have to do anything. We always have a choice. Whether you make the right one is a different question."

"Get to the point," I tap my foot impatiently.

"There's a... special group. They want change. Start over the whole system. In order to do that, they need strength and money," Jay looks me in the eye, "They need people like you. Ones with strength if they hope to achieve this dream."

"So? You think I care about that?" I look away from his stare.

"Yes, I think you do. Wouldn't you want revenge? For what they did to you? Your parents?" Jay presses.

He's done it. He went way too far. I do what all girls do when they're pissed. I slap him, as hard as I can. There's a bright red mark on his cheek and he places his hand over it.

"You think I would just give away my life for some stupid group that wants to do the impossible?" I shout at Jay, "You think I would trust some stranger like you? I don't know how you found out about my parents, but I'm over it."

I stomp away and don't turn around when Jay calls my name.

I hear him walk after me and I start to run.

"Hayden! Wait, please!" I hear Jay shout.

"Go away!" I yell and pick up the pace.

The sound of his feet fade away as I keep running. I come to a slow walk when my legs start to ache. I look around and spot a small pub. There's nowhere else to stay so I start walking towards it. I'll probably miss the afternoon fights but right now, I don't care.

I open the pub's door and everyone in there stares at me. I don't make eye contact with anyone as I walk and sit at the bar. I pull out my pouch of coins and pull out a coin. The bartender turns around and her eyes glitter at the sight of the coin.

"Water," I order.

She quickly takes the coin and fills a beer glass with water.

I sip the glass and everyone goes back to their gambling and drinking. A few minutes later, two middle aged men sit beside me at the bar.