The Closing Arguments

It had been a while since he'd been in a real trial, closing it, pleading his case, bending the jury to his will. But it was time to do it again and he was the only juror. There was only one argument. One way to go and he knew already which way that was, but still he gave the speech. He went to the bathroom, to look at himself, laid his notes on the table and began, "Gentleman of the jury. You have been with Chelsea almost your entire life. The two of you have loved together, lived together, made a family together and have graced society as a couple. Sure, there have been ups and downs in your relationship but somehow you've always found a way back together. You've both cheated on each other, hidden things from the other and manipulated situations to serve your own needs.

You should have no worries for Chelsea's well-being should you leave. She is a commodity in her field and will have plenty of parts to cover her mounting expenses. Expenses you'll no longer have to shoulder, should you leave.

Thinking about the political circuit, you have long assumed that you needed her to make your run. The truth is, with what she's done to Sarah, her frequent outbursts in public, and the debts that could easily be discovered in a simple search of her finances, she is a liability to your campaign! Many in the political realm have ended relationships, admitted infidelity, and have still maintained their political title or earned one. Granted, there has never been a president with children from past relationships, but we're a progressive nation and with the right spin it could happen.

There is nothing redemptive in the relationship between the two of you. The promise of a new life with another woman is more likely to result in happiness for you than staying in a relationship with an established pattern of dysfunction that is now carrying over to the children.

The children, clearly, would be better served if the courts were involved. Chelsea and Sarah need to be kept apart and only allowed supervised visitation, if any time together. Tyler has proven over and over his inability to live within the normal confines of society. He is a source of constant turmoil and trouble and despite several attempts at rehabilitation is still in trouble. Chelsea has defended and excused his behavior on countless occasions and is a contributing factor to his misbehavior. Despite the efforts to correct his behavior there has been little forward progress, court orders could be the force needed to get him on the right track.

Abandoning a child is a major decision and you haven't taken it lightly. The fact is, Tyler is almost seventeen years old, old enough by legal standards to be tried as an adult. You've made several attempts to help. You've loved him. You've put him in therapy and into a place that, if nothing else, keeps him out of worse trouble. In a couple years, he will be an adult anyway. He's threatened to leave you if you choose Sofia. If you want her, you need to let him go.

There are two viable options on the table. One; leave Chelsea to keep Sarah safe and do not enter into a relationship with Sofia so as to keep a relationship with Tyler. The other; leave Chelsea, leave Tyler, leave Hollywood and start new with Sofia and Sarah. The promise of a new life is tempting but not without risk in itself. You'd have a beautiful woman, with endless resources and a passion for your child. You'd have an opportunity to provide Sarah with a mother who would love her the way a mother should. Compatibility is not a concern. The two of you have spent years together at work and in dance. You are compatible, you are able to face the challenges of life together. Would there be resentment about leaving Tyler? Sure, sure there would be some resentment and guilt for leaving ... but," he said suddenly knowing what he had to do. He put his hands down on the contemporary concrete counter and looked into his own eyes, "She's worth it. She is kind and compassionate and wouldn't ask if it wasn't a reasonable request. She's been there with you through years of rehabilitative attempts with Tyler. She sees from a distance what you're too close to see. He is a deeply troubled soul. He will always be a part of you but his choices shouldn't keep you from the love of your life.

And Nate... Sofia is the love of your life! She's your perfect match. She challenges you to be your best and then better than that. She's put up with you through all of your floundering years and yet she's strong enough to resist your advances until you can fully commit. She's everything you need in a woman... in a wife. She partners with you on the dance floor like a dream. She taught you to dance and it has become not only a hobby but a passion. She gave you the courage to make the change from defending rich, guilty defendants to doing work you can be proud of. If she's not necessarily an asset to your political path, but, at least she's not a liability the way Chelsea would be.

You want her, and you know she wants you. But it's more than that. You're miserable without her. When she's gone, or when things aren't right between you both, you feel it. You need to be with her. She's your future, she's your soul mate. Forget about the what if's and public implications of leaving Chelsea for her and do what you know is right for you. Do what you've been afraid to do for far too long. Choose to spend the rest of your life with the love of your life and let everything else work itself out."

The argument was made. He knew who he would choose, he had for a long time.