The Break

The wedding of the year was called off. The tabloids had a field day. His face, Sofia's and Chelsea were splashed all over. As it always did the publicity catapulted Chelsea to new heights. Her agent chose her next role carefully, looking for sympathetic leading part. She was on set for her staring role as a WWII nurse turned spy, the day the fated wedding was to have taken place. Her fans stayed loyal, always loyal no matter what. Nate moved into a penthouse condo with Sarah. He took Tyler too, Chelsea's schedule made it easy to get custody, but the boy was out of control. He too had a vendetta against his little sister. Once, Nate found him pelting her with spit balls. He stood, cocky and proud over her play pen, with a wad of paper and a straw when Nate caught him. Julie had left early and it was just the three of them home. Sarah's crying drew him out of his office into the living room.

"What are you doing?"

"What?" Tyler asked incredulously, "I'm playing, she's a good target." He grinned. It was sinister, Nate would never want to think it of his own flesh and blood, but he almost looked evil. Sarah couldn't be safe around her own brother either. Again, Nate couldn't understand their dislike of the girl.

"Don't do it again."

"Ohhhh or what?"

Nate had never wanted to smack him worse than he did at that moment. The boy needed more help that Nate could give him. He'd been looking into boot camps and boarding schools on the side. Nate thought maybe it was time to finally follow through.

"One more time kid," he said pointing his finger at Tyler's chest, and you're going to find yourself in a whole new world. Straighten up! Clean these off your sister. Knock it off!"

After that he did his best to be sure Tyler was supervised around Sarah. He tried to get Tyler interested in dancing at the studio. He adamantly refused dance lessons of any kind or any sport or after school activity. All he wanted to do was play his betting games and video games. Nate gave him his space and let him stay home when he was dancing. Sometimes Sarah came with her night nurse to watch his and Sofia's sessions. The three of them got into a comfortable, predictable rhythm.

Sarah was healthier than she had ever been. Chelsea accused the help of feeding her too much when she visited. She said Sarah was getting fat, but Nate saw only that she finally had some meat on her bones and more color in her cheeks. The fearful, cautious looks she used to give everyone were saved only for her mother and brother during the separation.

Tucked away in the cabin he wondered to himself, if Chelsea had been starving her before then. Had Tyler done worse to her? Should he put those down on his question list? If he did would either of them answer honestly? He doubted it. He doubted Chelsea even knew what the truth was; she only knew how to say what people wanted to hear so she could get them to do what she wanted. He wondered if that was how Sofia felt with him.

Nate sighed deep and shook his head at himself and stared out the window at the deck, the trees, the water, life rolling on the way his had after the break up.

He knew then, with the dances, the time away from Chelsea, the way Sarah was getting better, what he wanted. Everything was good then, not the fake, Hollywood kind of good that somehow felt feigned, but really good, except for Tyler's behavior and the stress and pressure at work.

Tyler was easy to fix; there was, of course, a next time with Sarah that sent him packing and onto boot camp. It happened so quickly, one minute the four of them were in the kitchen together eating dinner, the next, the night nanny excused herself for the evening. Her room was tucked into a far corner in the penthouse, Nate had almost let her go. He didn't think Sarah needed twenty-four seven care anymore, but the nurse, Courtney, was in school and needed the money, so he kept her on. Nate watched her leave, then got up to pour himself another drink. He could see a reflection of the kids in the dark condo windows amidst the sprinkling of LA lights. He watched in disbelief as Tyler reached over to Sarah with his spoon and popped the girl on the head with it. Instantly Sarah cried out.