Chapter: 1

Six months had passed since my so called friend, Jay, had left. I was currently hiding from my dad, Gaston, and my brothers, Gaston the first, Gaston the second, and Gil.
I had refused to wash the dishes; demanding that they did their own dishes instead. That hadn't gone over well. Now I was hiding at Dizzy's salon, well not hers but, she's basically the only one working there.
"I think your brothers have left, you should be good now." Dizzy said, glancing out the door. I was sitting on the table, trying to mop up the blood from the gash on my side. My dad hadn't been aiming for my side, but thankfully I had moved quick enough that that's what he hit.
"Sorry about getting blood everywhere." I say, hopping down and glancing at the mirror.
"That's gonna scar." I mutter, I didn't mind the scars, I just minded the memories they held. They were a symbol of my weakness, and uselessness.
I shrug on my red, leather jacket.
"But you're still pretty." Dizzy comes up next to me.
"Thanks Diz." I say, though wishing I wasn't.
I had gotten my dad's looks, black hair, sky blue eyes and, fair skin. I was also skinny, like most on the island because of the lack of nutrition.
"I'll get out of your hair, don't want you getting caught up in-" I gesture wildly. I know she understands though.
I begin walking around, just buying time until my dad was passed out drunk.
Suddenly an arm wraps around my waist.
"Pretty thing like you, your brothers are looking for you, darling." Harry Hook comes next to me.
I take my knife I had stolen from my dad and went to gut him. He caught my hand and threw the knife.
"Let's go, I know your family is so worried about you." Harry grabs my hair and I struggle to get out but he just holds tighter.
He drags me to my house and with out knocking, brings me inside. Gaston wasn't passed out yet, just sitting there. When he sees me he scrambles to his feet.
Harry, like the codfish he was had ran first chance he saw.
"Ungrateful girl!" Dad snarls at me.
"Pig!" I screamed him.
He lunged at me, grabbing my arm, I don't wince, even though that arm was covered in purple and yellow bruises.
"Think you can disobey me? This is a man's world!"
I struggle but he holds me tighter.
"Women should not read, or write! Your soul propose is housework and making children!"
"Like hell!" I scream and kick him in the groin.
Then I run, I run and run until my legs can't carry me anymore. I sat at the 'beach' it was really just an polluted sandy area at the edge of the island.
I remember when Jay was here. The first few times I had gone over to his place, he hadn't even known I was there.
My brothers had been chasing me because I had snuck a book in the house and had been trying to read. I had saw the house and ducked in. Then decided to spend the night, having no were else to go. I slept under his bed, until dawn, then before he was even up I was gone.
         This went on for a few weeks until one night I went in and someone had me in a headlock. I had skillfully wiggles my way out and pinned the boy against the floor. I'll never forget the conversation.
        "Why are you in my room?" He asked.
"I'm lost." I lied.
"Right, how many times do you get lost? This seems to be the second."
         It wasn't the second, no it was the eighth. However that meant he
caught me last time and, I wasn't going to correct him.
      I let him up and went to the window, about to jump out but he grabbed my arm. I cried out and collapsed. Dad had cut it recently. I had only been ten at the time and, had not built up my pain tolerance.
        The boy immediately let go, I had started bleeding again. Without a word he grabbed a spare shirt and wrapped it around my arm, tightly but not too tightly.
         We sat on the floor in silence,
"I'm Jay." He said finally, offering me a smile, I stared at him for the longest time, trying to see if he was going to hurt me.
"Grace." I finally muttered.
"Gaston's girl right?" He asked.
"No," I had spat. "I do not belong to him."
        After that we had been friends, I would escape to his place when things got bad. Jay did his best to make sure my wounds didn't get infected.
        Then one day he says he has to go.
"Me and the gang are being forced to got to Auradon." He had ranted to me at this very beach.
"They want you to do something?" I had asked.
"The Fairy Godmother's wand." He looks at me with a worried expression.
      "We get that wand and everyone on the Isle is free. You can get away from Gaston and your brothers."
        Hope had flowed through me at the thought. Only a few weeks later I was watching him choose good on the television at Ursula's Fish n Chips.
        I hadn't been too upset, I had still expected him to get me off. Then a month passed and nothing.
       I eventually gave up, on Jay and everything else. I watched the sea on the other side of the barrier.
        I hated feeling caged, I was falling asleep, when something purple caught my attention.
       Someone was using magic to get through onto the island riding a purple scooter.
"Mal's back, and the rest of them are probably not far behind." I mutter to myself. I watch the waves roll, free from this cage. This is what I get for relying on a man, or anyone else.