Chapter 22: Going on a Rescue Mission

They all walked in, needing to know what was going on. Y/N was the most worried out of her and Steve.

"Colonel Phillips," Steve said.

"Well if it isn't the Star Spangled Man and Woman with a plan. What is your plan today?" Phillips asked unenthusiastically.

"We need the causality list from Bolzano," Steve requested.

"You two don't get to give me orders," Phillips pointed out.

"We just need one name. Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th," Y/N said.

"You and I are going to have a conversation later that you won't enjoy," Phillips told Peggy.

"Please tell us he's alive, sir. B-A-R--" Steve started.

"I can spell," Phillips said then explained, "I've signed more of these condolence letters today than I would care to count. But...the name does sound familiar. I'm sorry."

Steve became saddened as Y/N cupped her mouth and tears threatened to spill. Steve gave her a brotherly hug in response.

"What about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, it's called winning the war," Phillips answered.

"But if you know where they are, why not--" Y/N asked in shock, parting from the hug.

"They're thirty miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd save, but I don't expect you to understand that, because you're both chorus girls," Phillips remarked.

They gave him a slight glare in response.

"I think we both understand just fine," Y/N remarked.

"Well then understand it somewhere else. If I read the posters correctly, you two have got someplace to be in thirty minutes," Phillips responded, looking away.

They then saw the map that had the location where the men were kidnapped.

"Yes sir. We do," Steve responded and the siblings walked off.

"If you have something to say, right now is the perfect time to keep it to yourself," Phillips told to no one in particular.

As they packed their stuff, Peggy walked in.

"What do you two plan to do? Walk to Austria?" she asked.

"If that's what it takes," Steve replied.

"You heard the Colonel, your friend is most likely dead," Peggy pointed out.

"You don't know that," Y/N said, determined to help Bucky.

"Even so, he's devising a strategy, it takes time," Peggy remarked.

"By the time he's done that, it could be too late," Y/N replied then the siblings exited the tent.

"Steve. Y/N," Peggy called, following them.

They put their stuff in the vehicle then looked back at Peggy.

"You told us you thought we were meant for more than this. Did you mean that?" Steve asked.

"Every word," Peggy answered.

"Then you gotta let us go," Steve stated.

He got in the driver's seat and Y/N got in the passenger seat until Peggy stopped them.

"I can do more than that," she told them.

Back in one of the tents, the women were getting ready for the show.

"On stage, girls," Brandt's aide said.

"Where's my helmet?" one of the girls asked.

"Anyone seen both Rogers?" Brandt's aide demanded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Time to rescue Bucky and the other men.