A Timeline of The Day the World Bled

July 17, 1936 - Spanish Civil War breaks out between the Nationalists, led by Franciso Franco, and the Republicans, led by Manuel Azana

July 17, 1936 - Spanish Civil War breaks out between the Nationalists, led by Franciso Franco, and the Republicans, led by Manuel Azana. Throughout the course of the war, the Nationalists received support from Nazi Germany, Italy, and Portugal. The Republicans got support from Mexico, the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union. France does not send aid due to the unstable political and economic situation they're facing at home. The USA and the UK did not arm either side in our timeline, but besides that so far everything is the same. I should also note that in this timeline the Soviet Union is led by Leon Trotsky, instead of Stalin.

September 12th, 1936 - German troops enter the Rhineland, violating the terms of the Treaty of Versailles. Britain and France object but ultimately do nothing to enforce the treaty.

November 8th, 1936 - Franco and the Nationalists launch an attack on Madrid.

November 17th, 1936 - Madrid falls to the Nationalists, and the Republican forces retreat to Barcelona.

November 23rd, 1936 - The USSR declares war on the Nationalists and fully joins the war on the side of the Republicans, using their influences to make the Communist faction much more powerful. In response, the United States and Britain withdraw their support. Mexico continues their lend-lease.

January 9th, 1937 - The Red Army launches a naval invasion through Corunna. This forces the Nationalists to fight on two fronts and split their forces. Realizing this is the turning point, Portugal withdraws their volunteers, fearing retaliation from Spain or the USSR. Germany and Italy withdraw troops as well, simply not wanting to waste any more soldiers or money.

March 4th, 1937 - The Republicans retake Madrid and meet the Soviets at Zaragoza. Franco is captured and executed trying to flee the city. The fighting continues in southeast Spain for a few more weeks, but the war is basically over with Franco's death.

March 25th, 1937 - Nationalist Spain officially surrenders to the Republicans and the Soviets.

July 7, 1937 - The Marco Polo Bridge incident sparks the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War. In this timeline, the United States does not send support to the Nationalists, fearing a take over by the Maoists similar to what seems inevitable in Spain. The Soviets send troops and funding to the PRC like our timeline.

August 10th, 1937 - Manuel Azana is assassinated in a coup by the PCE, backed by the Soviet Union. Jose Diaz Ramos becomes the leader of Spain. Leon Trotsky sends funding and materials to help rebuild Spain and includes them in the 5 Year Plan.

August 11th, 1937 - The UK's Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain denounces the PCE as a "barbaric, draconian abomination" but does not threaten military action.