Let Us Be Friends

Chris' POV:

Three days had passed, and I hadn't ventured outside. Jake had been absent during this time, and I welcomed the respite from his presence. It gave me a chance to rest and contemplate the situation. Perhaps, in time, I could find it within myself to forgive him.
Jake's POV:

Three days had slipped by, and I still hadn't seen Chris. I wandered around the vicinity of the bakery, hoping for a glimpse of him, but he remained elusive. I decided to enter the bakery and ask about his whereabouts. The man at the counter informed me that Chris had been sick and absent for three days. Worry gnawed at me, and I couldn't shake the concern for his well-being.I resolved to visit his apartment, even though I lacked the courage to knock on his door.

Chris' POV:

My phone rang, and Steve's voice filled my ear. "Someone was looking for you," he said.

"Who was it?" I inquired.

"I don't know. He didn't give his name, but he was wearing a black leather jacket. Does that ring a bell?"

Jake was the first person who crossed my mind. I knew he was looking for me, but the idea of his presence filled me with unease. "No, I don't recognize him. Thanks, Steve."

"Okay. Get well soon," Steve wished me before ending the call.

Moments later, the doorbell rang. I approached the door and was met by Jake.

"I mustered up the courage to ring your bell," he confessed. "I was here 15 minutes ago, but I didn't know what to say."

"What do you want?" I replied with a degree of fortitude.

"I'm here to apologize, and I want to take you up on your offer if you don't mind," he said, gazing inside, waiting for an invitation.

"Come in. I'd like to discuss it with you."

And he entered.

Jake's POV:

"So, you want me as your apartment-mate?" I inquired.

"It's okay, but we need to establish some ground rules."

"Rule Number 1: No hunting humans. Be a human. If you drink another person's blood, I'll be the one to deal with it."

"Okay," I readily agreed.

"Rule Number 2: No kissing. I don't like it."

A simple nod of acknowledgment from me.

"Rule Number 3: We're friends, but it doesn't change the fact that you're a vampire. So, maintain some distance from me, and don't bring other vampire friends here."

"That's it?"

"Yes," he affirmed.

I rose from my seat and embraced him. "Rule Number 4: No hugging."

"Oh, sorry. I'm just a bit jumpy. But at least we're friends!" I exclaimed.

"Just get your things from your old place, but be prepared to share the rent with me," Chris instructed.

"Sure."

And with that, I left.