1: Pubs and Fights

1912 Chapter 1

Yelling filled throughout the small pub. This pub was one of the most crowded and most busiest ones in the town of Mullingar. You got the drunks stumbling around, the obnoxious and loud group yelling at the top of their lungs as well as spilling their Guinness Beer on each other, the group always wanting to pick a fight, the group looking for a girl to knock up, and then you got my old friend Matt and me. We stay away from those groups and only mingle with the more friendlier crowd.

They were a bit more on the pleasant side. You have people all around Ireland coming to this pub. It was a crazy place to come yet people love it here! Matt and I were one of those people when we have a chance to come back home. We travel all around the world being free as a bird. We love it. I especially love waking up not knowing what life has in store for me. I only need a guitar in one hand and a sack of air in my lungs and I would be good to go.

I am a penniless artist who works for three cents on the streets by playing music, if that much... if so. The sound my guitar makes is music to my ears and I could care less about the money. I'm a poor guy and I'm proud. Even though I am despised by most people, I still make the most of it.

A burning cigarette hung at the corner of my lips as I stared in concentration behind Matt who was playing a game of arm wrestling. The ticking of the clock began to decrease sound as everyone around began to shout incoherent words. "You got this Matty boi!" I cheered. "Kick his filthy arse."

My fingers pinched the bud that was in-between my lips. I drag the smoke of the cigarette and breathed out slowly, watching it escape my lips. A puff of smoke filled the surroundings around me before disappearing out of thin air.

I grabbed the glass of beer that sat on the table by me and took a swig out of it before slamming it back on the wooden table. Then, returning the cigarette in-between my lips. The arms of the two tough men began to shake by the force they both pushed on one another. They both held a hard glare on their faces as they looked at each other.

The stranger's dirty arm slowly began to increase towards the table. His features turned into anger once his arm slammed against the table, knocking over the few beers. Everyone cheered around the table and gave Matt a high five. The biggest proud smile formed on my buddy's lip. His large frame stood up from the table and his arms were thrown in the air.

He turned towards me which caused me to smile at the sight of him. He was a true champ. Matt was a kind-hearted guy but if you were on his bad side then you see a different side of him. He wasn't the kind of guy to mess with when he is angry. I've seen him angry only three times. I called it his "Wild Side" or sometimes his "Red Dead Side."

The first time we were walking out of a pub and this drunk man came up to us to try to pick a fight. Matt told him to back off and the man swung a fist right at him. The look on Matt's face when he realized what the guy did was almost terrifying. The situation broke out in a bloody fight. A worker had to break them up before things got worse.

The second time was when he dated this young lady and an older guy tried hitting on her with his "charms". When Matt came back from the restroom, another fight broke out and there was blood dripping from both of their faces. I happened to have seen them when I was playing guitar on the street and had to step in before Matt got arrested.

The third time happened when we were out on the streets and I was playing guitar on a corner. I had earned ten cents that day! But when we were packing up, a pick pocketer came by and snatched my money. Matt realized what had happened and took off running after the guy. He was screaming and yelling at him before the fight broke out. His face was bright red and his knuckles were turning white and were clenched to his sides. Matt hit the guy first and almost got arrested but I saved his lucky arse so the cop wouldn't take him away.

We were the best of friends since year one. Our mothers didn't like each other but we continued to stay the best of pals. Then, one day we decided to travel the world and have life take us where ever. We dropped out of school and to earn money we performed on the streets. It was no issue to us, of course, but it could be a bit rough at times. I played guitar while he draws people.

His bulky figured walked my way with a triumph grin across his face. He was only six-foot-two but with my five-foot-ten height it made me look at him like he was huge. His disheveled hair fell in his face and he pushed it out of the way. Through the cut off large sleeve hole, his muscular arms came out. He wore a simple white v-neck shirt and a pair of old faded jeans with tan suspenders hanging in the back. His black boots squeezed against the flooring of the pub.

"Lad! I am getting stronger each day," he said. "Soon I will be wrestling bulls." "In your dreams," I snorted, "you wouldn't get past a horse." "Shut up scrawny," he said. We stared at one another with wide eyes before bursting out in laughter. He sent me a goofy smile and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "This will never get old, will it?" He asked. "Of course not... sissy," I remarked.

He howled and cackled with laughter. "What will I do without you?" He asked. "Probably die," I shrugged with a hint of tease. He shoved me to the side in a joking matter before grabbing a glass of good old Guinness Beer and a basket of fish and chips. "Want some?" He asked. "I got my own beer porky," I said. "And I will pass on the fish and chips." "More for me."

The door of the small pub slammed open and large pounding footsteps smacked against the wood flooring. "Well look at who it is," a deep and husky voice called out from behind. The room fell into an uncomfortable silence. "Little Ol' Niall and Matt. Who would of thought they would come back to my pub?" Matt snorted and we turned around to face the one and only Jeffery Mills. The richest of them all.

"I thought I told you two not to come back because of the amount of money you two have. Can you afford a couple of beers now? Or are you still working on the streets?" He asked in a harsh tone. The room was filled with uncontrollable laughter.

"Don't tell me you guys are starting the pick pocketing business now," he, himself, began to laugh. "What an A-hole," I muttered. Matt overheard me and laughed which caused me to laugh. "WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING AT!?" Jeffery shouted. We looked back at him and silenced out laughter.

The room fell silent again and everyone's attention was on us. "Nothing... Nothing at all," Matt said. "I thought so," Jeffery smirked proudly like he was proud of himself. Just then Matt opened his big mouth which caused Jeffery to shut his mouth. "Just the thought of how your daddy lost his money and now you're poor like me and Niall." Everyone gasp around the room and began to mock at the now embarrassed Jeffery.

I was surprised because this was the first I ever heard of him becoming poor. "You know nothing!" He snarled. "What? Is someone embarrassed now? Do they need to be taught on how to do stuff for them-self?" I teased. Everyone laughed harder.

"This isn't even your pub anymore, is it?" Matt smirked triumphly. "Guards! Come take these foolish men away at once," Jeffery ordered. His face was flustered and bright red from the anger. A vein popped out on the side of his neck from the yelling.

Two large, muscular men came stalking towards us with a scowl upon their face. "Alright-alright! We will leave at once," I muttered. Matt gave me a smirk as he held in his laughter. I kicked his ankle to warn him not to open his big mouth or we will get in more trouble.

The guards harshly gave us a shove towards the front door and pushed our backs. "Hey! Be careful," I said. "We are fragile." "Leave and never come back," Jeffery said. "Okay blabber mouth," Matt said. We stopped walking and took a look at Jeffery before we left. I glanced at Matt and saw what was coming. Before I could stop him, Matt hollered out to Jeffery, "Have fun being poor and washing the rich people's feet! We are here if you need to be taught on how to cook your own food."

The two of us burst out in giggles at the sight of a fuming Jeffery. "LEAVE!!" He screamed. He gave us one more powerful shove and their was a loud door slam. Matt and I howled of laughter and we couldn't stop ourselves. It took us some time to settle down but we eventually did.

"Where to next, Niall?" He asked after our laughing fit. "Any ideas?" "Ah... Oh Matty boi! Learn to go where life takes you," I grinned. "It's all about letting life have it's way with you."

A/n: First author's note of the story! I hope you all enjoy 1912 as it is a Niall Horan story :) this is going to be a fun one to write!