Chapter 42

It takes a few moments for me to fully come back to my senses, still in a half state of sleep. I wake in Blake's comforting arms, a grin creeping across my cheeks. It's peculiar, so much time stranded in the dark, and I can wake up able to see my surroundings. 

"Morning babe." Blake murmurs, startling me a bit. 

I let out a sigh, "Morning Blake. How long have you been awake?" 

"Just a few minutes, I didn't want to wake you." He responds, his breath tickling my neck. 

I adjust, so my body faces Blake. Once more, there is that sense of fascination. Blake seems so different than my last remaining memories. He's built larger, his jaw more defined, and his hair just a bit darker. Then again, my own body is contrasting from before, very different. The idea is still hard to grasp, the fact that I missed out on two entire tears of my childhood, two years that will never come back to me. 

"What are you thinking about?" Blake mutters, pushing a stray brown hair from my face. 

I glance down, suddenly very aware, "Just, it's hard. Adjusting to, basically, an entirely new life." 

He tugs me closer, "I know, it must be so..." 

"Stupid. I should just get over it." I finish, letting out an exaggerated sigh. 

Blake furrows his eyebrows, "No, I was going to say weird. You've got an entirely different life. You should take time." 

I nod, accepting his words. My legs stretch outwards, touching the floor. That's one other thing everyone takes for granted, when you aren't in a paralyzing coma. 

"We should get downstairs, I've got something I want to show you today." 

"What is it?" I question, my feet contacting the plush carpet of the floor. 

Blake laughs, "You'll see. For now, I'll make your breakfast." 

I stretch out again, and walk down the wooden stairs. This Abnegation home is so unfamiliar, so different than Dauntless. It's absolutely insane how my parents moved our entire life just to keep their almost dead daughter in comfort.

"Natalie? Is that you?" Mom's voice echoes from the living room. 

I race down the rest of the way, smiling giddily, "Good morning Mom!" 

She is standing in the kitchen, pushing some food around in a pan. Blake won't have to make my breakfast after all. I smile, hopping onto a bar stool. 

"Good morning gorgeous, how are you feeling?" She asks, turning around to give me a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"It's amazing to not be paralyzed in a bed. I missed moving around, even if now I kind of feel a little bit wobbly." I admit. 

She nods, "Well at least you still have good muscle mass, thank goodness for Erudite medicine." 

Our family has always been especially fit, even Mom when she is pregnant. I've maintained abs and pretty decent muscles since I was nine, and was beyond elated that I woke up with them still intact. I watch Mom cook, focused a little on her huge pregnant belly. It's peculiar as well, seeing that while I've been gone my little brother was growing, getting ready to come into this world. 

After Mom finishes cooking, Blake and I devour our food, eating like hungry monsters. That's not just that I haven't had solid food in so long, it's that I'm a teenager. 

"Maybe I should have made more than one pack of bacon." Mom laughs, shaking her head. 

I smile, "Thanks Mom! Breakfast was delicious!" My feet move like lightning towards the backyard, eager to see what Blake wanted to show me.