Chapter 5

Hi please take the time to comment, vote and fan if you think i deserve it :):) Enjoy!!

This chapter is dedicated to rivshoran_phoenix for the beautiful cover at the side!!!

__________________________________________________________________

The royal family gathered in the throne room to await the arrival of the foreign dignitaries. King Damian and Queen Leila looked regal and powerful in their tailor-made tunic and gown. The children mirrored their parents, carrying themselves with grace and authority. Calla had done a spectacular job at hiding Cade’s wound. Much to Cade’s delight, no make-up or powder was needed to camouflage his wound; instead, Calla merely re-styled his hair, fixing it to cover his forehead. The king and queen of Bellerania sat on thrones in the centre of the room while their children stood in a straight line beside their father’s throne, wearing expressions of distaste. They had just been informed that the monarchs of Esyria were their guests and would be staying in the palace for at least a week while King Damian and King Edward renewed trade agreements.

“I can’t believe papa hid the fact that our ‘guests’ are the monarchs of Esyria,” hissed Cade for the hundredth time. “They are a herd of arrogant, rude, prideful pigs that…” Cade went on and on about the pig qualities the monarchs of Esyria possessed. Normally, the sisters would reprimand their little brother for using such crude language, but they too loathed the Esyrian monarchs and were silently entertained by Cade’s rambling.

Since the establishment of both kingdoms, the Belleranians and Esyrians have not gotten along. Six years ago, during the war, the Belleranians hatred toward the Esyrians was further heightened, and vice versa. During that period of uncertainty, the Esyrians claimed that King Damian of Bellerania hired murderers to kill their monarchs because he wanted to conquer their land and rich resources, but was too afraid to begin a war of conquest without having an upper hand. The Esyrians accused King Damian of underhandedly killing their sovereigns in order to cause chaos and insecurity thus creating the perfect opportunity for an attack. King Damian of Bellerania denied their accusations, and was insulted. The people of Bellerania believed and supported their king. The conflict led to war which resulted in heavy casualties for both armies and widespread poverty in both kingdoms. A peace treaty was signed between the kingdoms after the war and both kingdoms have lived in relative harmony since then.

Six years later, the monarchs of both kingdoms were still not fond of each other but cooperated for the survival and good of their own kingdom. The two kingdoms were interdependent. Bellerania needed natural resources, such as metal ores, from the richly blessed Esyria, while Esyria needed consumer goods and weapons from Bellerania. Although Esyria had an abundance of natural resources, inefficient leadership and organization resulted in an unproductive use of resources. Hence, the Esyrians sold their resources to the Belleranians. The Belleranians would then use the resources to produce goods which they sold back to the Esyrians for a profit. Once every two years, the Esyrians would visit kingdom Bellerania to negotiate trade agreements.

“I really don’t want to spend a week entertaining Prince I-am-too-fancy-for-my-pants,” confessed Calla. Catherine nodded in agreement. Prince Nathan annoyed the two girls and since young, hide and seek had been their favourite game to play with the prince. The sisters were interrupted by the sound of hooves and a carriage screeching to a halt.

“Presenting His Majesty King Edward Charles Chauntler and Her Royal Highness Queen Anne Marie Chauntler, king and queen of Esyria, and His Royal Highness Prince Nathan James Chauntler, the prince of Esyria,” announced the doorman.

“Crowned prince of Esyria,” corrected Nathan. “I’m the heir to my father’s throne after all.”

“Nobody cares,” muttered Chris under his breath. Chris was the chief knight commander of the Belleranian army. He and the other knight commanders stood by the entrance of the throne room to ensure the safety of the royals, and to display the strength and might of the Belleranian army. A warning to the Esyrians in case they decided to start a war again.