"People will start running away screaming when they see us coming with all the squash we're unloading on them," said Miles darkly as he unlocked the door. "Myrtle, you have to take it away with you this afternoon. I can't bear to look at it. Just leave it on the porch so that you can collect it when you go."

"It's not as if squash has a smell, Miles," said Myrtle, amused. "It won't contaminate your home if you bring it inside."

"I wouldn't be so sure," said Miles. He watched Jack launch himself joyfully at his piano and start enthusiastically banging on the keys.

Miles took swipes and jabs at his phone screen. Myrtle said impatiently, "Look, why don't you hand the phone back to Jack and go grab a paper towel?"

Miles stared at her. "Both of those ideas surprise me. I can't imagine why I need a paper towel and why give this device back to the perpetrator who rendered it useless?"

"Because Jack's hands are sticky with ice cream and it's probably getting all over your keys. And, since Jack was the one who messed up your phone, perhaps he's the one who can fix it," said Myrtle.

Miles sighed and handed his phone back to the boy. It was, perhaps, the only thing that could distract him from the upright piano. Miles returned promptly with a damp paper towel and Myrtle handed Miles's phone back to him while she carefully wiped Jack's hands clean.

"Well, I'll be," said Miles, staring at his phone. "The messaging and phone is back!"

"I keep telling people that my grandson is a genius. They simply don't listen to me," said Myrtle with a sniff.

Jack resumed his high volume concert and Myrtle motioned Miles to the kitchen. "While he's playing, we know exactly what he's doing. Let's step away until the music stops."

Miles winced at the piano's pained notes. "The word music is debatable."

They pulled their food out and sat down at the table, munching thoughtfully. Myrtle washed down a large bite with her drink and then said, "They're all trying to pin it on Skip now."

Miles raised his eyebrows and took a bite from his fruit. "You mean Veronica is. She was the one talking about seeing him come back to the theater when she was leaving."

"Not only Veronica. While we were waiting for you to come back with the car, Blaine also said that Skip was likely to have done it. Well, he did make a mention of Josie too, but Skip in particular. He said that Skip left his wallet at the theater overnight. Proof that he'd been there," said Myrtle.

"I can see why Skip would want to kill Nandina. Sort of. But Skip killing Roscoe?" Miles shook his head.

"Oh, it would have to be a killing-the-blackmailer kind of thing. Blaine suggested that Roscoe wanted money of his own so that he could leave Josie for Winnie. Perhaps Roscoe and Skip set up a meeting for Skip to pay Roscoe to keep him quiet about what Roscoe had really seen on stage. You know." Myrtle finished off a pimento cheese dog.

There was a light tap on Miles's front door and they glanced at each other. "Is it Elaine already?" asked Miles.

"I told her I'd text her when we were ready to have Jack picked up," said Myrtle.

"Aren't we, though? Aren't we ready to have Jack picked up?" asked Miles, heading for his front door. "After all, Tomorrow's Promise is about to come on. And we rarely watch it live." Miles peeked through the peephole on the door. "Oh no."

Jack became interested in the high notes on the piano, which was fortunate because Myrtle could actually hear Miles's mutter.

"Oh no?"