Chapter 6 - When the Dragon Calls, There is No Choice But to Answer

Start from the beginning

With a slight huff in her voice, she put her hands on her hips and said, "Now Sir, don't you think that's a bit rude? Don't you know I belong to a well-respected family? Blocking a young woman's path when she's extremely busy is incredibly distasteful on your part."

She pretended she was infuriated and tilted her head upwards indignantly. Again, he simply bowed calmly before moving to the side.

Feng Yao walked past him but as soon as she did, she realized something was off. The moment her body went numb and she began to fall backwards, she knew that the guard had already poisoned her.

There was no point in asking who Feng Yao was. He already knew my name the moment he intentionally bumped into me. There must have already been poison powder placed over his clothing.

She sighed as her vision began to blacken. Before she could hit the ground, she felt the guard catch her just like she knew he would.

Screw you and your fancy poisons! She wanted to yell, but she soon sunk into unconsciousness.

When Feng Yao woke up, there was a small headache pounding behind her forehead. With her eyes closed, she slightly moved her hand but instantly froze at what she was feeling.

Am I dead? Or is this real life?

She excitedly moved her hand again before confirming that what she was touching was a fur blanket of the softest quality she'd ever felt before. Feng Yao was so intrigued that she forced herself to peel open her heavy eyelids.

Instantly, she regretted her decision as a wave of sunlight coming through a window hit her in the face.

"Ow! Ow, ow, owww! Bad decision, bad decision..."

As she covered her eyes with her hands, she heard a familiar voice from beside her.

"Feng Yao! Are you awake now?"

That voice? The doctor?

Without removing her hands away from her eyes against the laughing sunlight, she called out into the air.

"Old man?"

His chuckle sounded out as she heard his heavy footsteps walk towards her. Soon afterwards, she felt his brief touch at her shoulder.

"Yes, little girly. It's me."

Feng Yao slowly moved her hands away and allowed her eyes to become used to light again. When she was finally able to see what her surroundings were, she was slightly stunned.

The room was a deep beautiful burgundy with golden accents scattered around on the walls. There was an exquisite table sitting in the center of the room with a tray of snacks and vibrant flowers. Rare decorations were also placed in well-chosen spots around the room. And if she looked out of the window, there was a large green courtyard with cherry and peach trees.

Everything looked to be incredibly expensive. Even the air she was breathing seemed to almost feel different than usual.

"How are you feeling? I told the guards not to treat you so roughly, but I should have known that the imperial guards wouldn't listen to me."

"So they made me inhale sleeping poison so that they could bring me here?" A wary look crept into her eyes.

The old man sighed deeply. "I had to beg the Emperor to let me find you and bring you here to the palace. You're like a little daughter to me. I can't let you run around out there in danger without me. "

She froze at his words.

I'm in the palace?

At that moment, she remembered something important.