Sarah Parcak

Sarah Helen Parcak was born in 1979, in Bangor, Maine, U.S. She is an archaeologist, Egyptologist and remote-sensing expert, who has become renowned for using satellite technology to find potential archaeological sites in, Rome, Egypt and other parts of the former Roman Empire. Sarah received her bachelor's degree in Egyptology and archaeological studies from Yale University in 2001, along with a Ph.D from the University of Cambridge. 

She is the associate professor of anthropology at the University of Alabama and director of the laboratory for Global Observation, at the University of Cambridge, which she founded in 2007. Prior to this she was a teacher of Egyptian art and history at the University of Wales, in Swansea, Wales. 

Between 2003-4 she used a combination of satellite imaging analysis and ground surveying to map 132 locations of archaeological interest, some dating back to 3,000 BC. In partnership with her husband, Greg Mumford, she directs survey and excavation sites in Fayum, Sinai and Egypt's east delta. Using several types of satellite imagery they have been able to find water sources and archaeological sites. According to Sarah this saves money and time for determining possible archaeological sites, compared to surface surveillance. 

In 2015, she visited L'Anse aux Meadows, in Newfoundland, Canada, a site she discovered decades earlier, to demonstrate how satellite imaging  can detect artifacts in regions covered by tall grass and other plant life. She was looking for remnants of Viking "bog iron", a type of impure iron that forms in swamps and marshy areas. While excavating Sarah thought she'd come across a earthen wall and pit but investigations the following year showed it was more likely formations created by a natural process. 

She has been featured in several television documentaries, including: Egypt's Lost Cities (2011), The Next List (2012), Rome's Lost Empire (originally aired on BBC One in December 2012), Vikings Unearthed (2016). She also published a book called, Satellite Remote Sensing for Archaelogy, in 2009.

Women in Science, Medicine and Mathematicsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें