Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I do. That was all I needed to say. The simple words. I do. Two words. Two simple words. I do. Except that, I didn't. Not even a little bit.

Everyone was staring at me and I thought I was going to throw up. My hands were shaking as I looked up into bright blue eyes of Brett Pendle. He wore a smart black tux, his ashy blonde hair smoothed backwardly. There was a flush to his skin and a layer of sweat was on his forehead – despite the fact it was snowing outside.

I stood in front of him, wearing a knee length white dress and a pair of white heels. My brown and blonde hair was pinned up delicately and my face was made up. Yet, despite the fact I looked like a bride, I felt like the complete opposite. I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Theodora" Martin prompted, voice harsh and daring me not to say those two words. I gulped, tried to smile at the man who was about to become my husband, and took a deep breath.

"I-I...do" I said, voice as shaky as I felt. Martin began to clap, and soon everyone else began to join in. Brett offered me a small smile, as he placed his hands on my hips and pulled me closer. Leaning down, he kissed me. Our lips touched each other for a simple few seconds before he withdrew and smiled. The smile was tight and forced – just like mine was.

We stood in the glass extension of the house, Martin standing in front of us – playing at being the pastor – and the rest of the men sat on the seats set out behind us. I was pretty sure everyone had worked out that I had been forced to marry Brett. Not only was I not excited, shaking and terrified – I had also arrived the week previous and spent almost everyday in my room avoiding everyone, Brett included.

"Right" Martin grinned, "let's go sign some papers". He gestured Brett and I after him as he walked back into the main part of the house and to his office. I didn't move until Brett took my arm and pulled me after his father.

I walked through the men sitting down and I felt numb. The entire wedding process had flown by at warped speed and I hadn't taken any of it in. I felt numb and tired and depressed. I wanted to pack my bag and run away. But I had no where to go, no money of my own and no way of avoiding every other Pack in the world who would no doubt hunt me down and force me back to Montana...and my new husband.

Martin sat silently in front of us, as Brett and I signed our marriage certificates. I didn't cry, like I thought I would, but I wasn't exactly happy like I had always dreamt of. "Congratulation" Martin smirked, as he took the certificates.

"Thanks Dad" Brett nodded, not sounding that thankful.

"When are you leaving?" I demanded. Both Brett and Martin turned to me in shock, my new husband gave me a look of warning. "The disclosure agreement you made me sign, gave this house to me when I married one of your sons, correct?"

Martin's eyes narrowed, "yes it does".

"Then this house now belongs to me. And I would like you to leave. You can return when I invite you back" I stated blankly. I stood up and opened the door to the office and held it. "I'll show you out, if you like?" I kept my face neutral but inside I was flipping the arrogant Alpha off.

My eldest brother, Colin, was the Alpha of the Spanish Pack after marrying the old Alpha's daughter. I had spoken to him about the situation that Martin was putting me in, and he had made me email him a copy to him. He then came back with things I should put in before signing it, and then taught me how to manipulate it to my own advantages.

Which included kicking Martin the hell out of my new house, the moment I had signed my name on that marriage certificate. If he was going to force me into this marriage, and into his conditions, then I was going to use it all to my advantages.

"Excuse me?" Martin hissed.

I gave him a smug smile, "I offered to show you out of my house".

"How dare you?" he hissed. Sighing heavily I walked out to the main part of the house, where Vic, Chris and the others were hanging around chatting.

"Victoro, Jonas, Chris will you please show Martin out. He seems reluctant to leave my house" I announced, forcing everyone into silence, as Martin and Brett followed me in,

Vic shifted uncomfortable, "the Alpha owns this house, Theodora".

"Actually, according to the disclosure agreement he made me sign before forcing me to marry his son, after the wedding the house and the ranch officially belongs to me. And after the marriage, Brett is officially the Alpha. Therefore, I would like this man removed from my property" I stated, turning my glare on Martin.

His face was reddening in anger as turned to his youngest son. "Brett tell your wife that--"

"Tell me what? You forced me into signing those papers, it's not my fault you didn't read the small print". I was proud of myself, with how calm and professional I felt. If this was going to be my life, then I wasn't going to let Martin dictate it to me. I may not have been able to change the marriage or my position, but I could change my vulnerability.

There was silence in my house and I could practically hear my heart beating wildly. But I took another deep breath and turned to my brand new husband. "Show him out this house. If you want to start this marriage out on a good foot, then get him the hell out of my house".

I gave Martin an acidic look before storming past him and up the stairs, leaving them all downstairs. I could hear arguments happening downstairs as I escaped to my bedroom and kicked the door shut. I flicked my heels off as I took a seat on my bed.

I wasn't sure how I felt. It was my wedding day, but I didn't feel any different. I had been Theodora Harrison for twenty three years and then, suddenly, I was Theodora Pendle. And I felt absolutely no different.

The arguments stopped after few minutes, before about ten minutes later a knock came on my bedroom door. I silently looked at the door before sighing heavily. "Come in" I called, and Brett walked in. "Hey husband" I smiled sarcastically.

"Well you've surprised me" he commented, lips tilting up slightly. He moved into the room and took a seat on my bed. "And here I thought you were some quiet, timid, book worm".

"I'm still an Alpha's daughter and I don't like it when people take advantage of me".

Brett looked stressed, "he wasn't talking advantage of you. He was just trying to save the pack".

"He's taken me away from my family, forced me to marry his son and won't let me have any control of our marriage or my entire life" I snapped, "that is not saving the pack, that is being a wanker".

Brett's lip twitched slightly, "I don't know what a wanker is, but I have a feeling it isn't a nickname I want you to give me".

"Well you treat me right and I won't have to give it to you" I retorted.

He nodded, "I see. Well, I hope I can treat you well". He turned serious as he took my hand in his, squeezing in what I assume was reassurance.

"Is he gone?" I demanded.

"Yes, my parents have left. They weren't happy, my father especially, but he knew that there wasn't much he could do" Brett replied honestly. He stared at me for a few seconds, as I admired him. He really was beautiful, not to mention caring and sweet. I had lucked out getting Brett as my husband.

But I was a romantic at heart. I'd always imagined that I would meet the man of my dreams and I would get butterflies and it'd be like everything in the universe would align. And as nice and handsome as Brett was, nothing aligned with him. I didn't love him, heck I wasn't sure I actually liked him.

"You look like you're about to cry" Brett commented suddenly, eyes studying me closely.

"I just..." I trailed off, shaking my head. "I think I just need to lay down for a while".

Brett was quiet for a moment as he watched me, "should I lay with you?" And that wasthe question that made the tears begin. Because Brett was my husband and this was our wedding night. Yet, I didn't want to make love to him. No, I wanted to cry. So I did.