o n e

I desperately rub my hands together upon entering Con El Capotin, a café started by a Spanish coffee lover.

The air outside is enough to make my teeth chatter and my body shake.

Immediately, I'm greeted by the bittersweet smell of coffee, and the hushed whispers of people conversing over papers, and some over intertwined hands.

I walk up to the counter and hear the door jingle, meaning a new customer has entered. I don't turn around to see who it is though, the only thing in my line of focus is my much needed coffee.

"Hola, Brianna, my favourite customer," Enrique, the café's owner, greets me with a warm smile that almost makes me stop shivering. "What can I do for you?" He says with a slight accent.

I grin at him. "I'll have a cappuccino with a pump of hazelnut." I say, reaching into my bag for money.

"Make that two," someone behind me says, slapping twenty dollars on the counter.

I turn around, surprised. A boy with dark hair and blue eyes is standing behind me, his hands shoved in his pockets and a crooked grin on his face. The contrast between his hair and his eyes is striking. He's tall, so me and my five-foot-two self has to crane my neck to look at him.

"Who are you?" I ask. I'm ready to attack. Someone that beautiful wouldn't want to buy me a drink without a motive. "And what do you want from me?"

His smile is still crooked, and cute. "I'm Cole Kais, and I wanted to buy you a cup of coffee. My mission is fulfilled." His blue eyes are twinkling with amusement.

I almost blush, but I compose myself. "I've never seen you here before. I'm Brianna Hough, by the way."

"Oh, but I've seen you. I see the way you bustle in here every morning, and sit here and daydream. You stare out the window and transport yourself somewhere else." He says, that goddamned smile never leaving his face.

"Okay, so you're a stalker?" I ask, even thought I thought it was very cute how he noticed me like that.

Before he's able to respond, Enrique places two cups on the counter. He smiles and winks at me.

Cole picks up both our ups and sets them down at a table near the front.

I have no choice but to follow, he has my coffee.

He pulls my chair for me and sits down himself.

"So Brianna Hough, what brings you here every morning?" He inquires, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Nothing, I'm just here to fuel my addiction." I shrug and take a sip of mine too.

He laughs, a real laugh, and I'm fascinated by it. His dimples pop out and his whole body shakes.

"Goddamn, aren't you a funny one." He takes a look at his watch. "It seems that time has screwed me over, what a slut. I'm horribly late for one of today's commitments." He stands up and brushes off his coat.

"Nice to meet you, Brianna Hough." And with that he leaves.

The only thing I can manage to say is, "But what about your coffee?"

"You can have it." He calls over his shoulder, and then he's gone.

I finish my cappuccino and lift the cup. Under it is a slip of paper.

I like coffee and I like you too. Give me a call, Cole.

I gape at the note. When did he even slip that in?

I drag his cup over and ponder over what just happened in the mere twenty minutes I was here.

I stare out the window and watch pedestrians stroll by, some in a hurry, some in a slow reluctant walk, and some have eyes bright with laughter. I'm not really looking anymore, the gears in my mind are working over the thought of the blue eyed boy that bought me coffee and slipped me his number.