The Heroes

There were many heroes who tried to save people trapped in the burning buildings. Although  2,606 people who were in the World Trade Center and on the ground perished in the attacks it would have been more without rescuers and civilian heroes. The casualty figure consisted of 2,192 civilians, 8 EMTs, 343 Firefighters, 71 law enforcement including 23 NYPD, 37 Port Authorities,  5 members of the Office of Tax Enforcement, 3 members of the Office of Court administration, 1 fire marshal of the New York City Fire Department  who had sworn law enforcement powers and was also among the 343 FDNY members killed, 1 member of the FBI, and 1 member of the United States Secret Service.

Cancer from inhaling debris resulted in hundreds of deaths among rescue crews and survivors. at least 4,166 cases of cancer; according to one advocacy group "more cops have died of illness linked to the attack than had perished in it".

Rescue teams made some mistakes but completely accidental. People were told to get to the roof even though the stairwell was clear and usable. Many perished in Elevators that had been trapped. It's also suspected many survived the towers collapse but perished after being trapped under hundreds of feet or rubble and suffocating before rescuers reached them.