I may not truly be dead, but it sure as hell felt like it.

After scrubbing myself clean, I climb out of the tub and dry quickly before dressing myself in only a pair of loose, grey sweatpants.

After letting myself soak in the wintry chill of my own thoughts, I clean myself up and slip off the first pair of pants I find. With that, I leave my bedroom and make my way through my vacant castle. It was just as dusty and just as dirty as the room I inhabited. I was the only one who lived in this fortress and didn't have a single servant to clean it for me. 

I, unlike all vampires, hated the concept of servants and slaves.

Any vamps who had even a shrivel of power immediately surrounded themselves with as many slaves and servants as they possibly could. Slaves who they beat, overworked and fucked when they wished.

It was fucking atrocious.

I refused to own anyone, refused to indulge in the disgusting practice. I'd experienced what it felt like to be in chains, to have no control over your actions and to be treated as nothing more but a scrap of shit. I wouldn't condemn anyone to that fate, never. I'd never force someone to spend their entire life doing my bidding. It repulsed me to alter someone's life so much. 

So I lived my life alone. In a fragile state of peace which was the best, I could achieve.

Like it always had, it took a good ten minutes of walking before I even approached the stairs which lead to the basement. Of course, I could get here much faster if I wanted to, but it made the minutes of these long days multiply and I truly adored anything which made the time go faster.

Despite this, I release a tired sigh, eyes lazily staring down into the darkest part of my abode. Taking one step at a time, I trudge down the neverending spiraling staircase until I myself am consumed by the darkness itself.

I ignore the forgotten slave cells and haunted torture chambers, which remained untouched as they'd always been, and head straight for the enormous cooler in the back. Lifting the top, I stare down at the seemingly endless encasement of blood bags, pleased to find that Wequie had kept things rolling.

After years and years of hunting for my meals, I'd grown tired of feeding on humans. It was tiring and boring, it always ended the same way anyway, took the fun straight out of it. Instead, I consumed my blood in the least vile way. 

Blood bags. Their packaging had changed over the centuries, the most revolting being the actual head of the carrier. It'd be sliced from the neck and everything inside cleared out only to be refilled with the owner's blood.

That was a phase of my species that I did not enjoy.

I grab an O-Negative as an effort to spice things up, I hadn't had this one in a while so why not live on the wild side. I take a few more to last the day before making my way back to my room.

The gleam of sunshine invades my vision, slowing my haste steps in surprise. The small flicker of sunlight brushes my skin and took the breath from my lips. I hadn't seen sunshine in years and I almost missed it feeling it against my skin now. I stop myself and take a tentative step back, my eyes closing to soak in the little brush of the sun.

I approach the glass wall which I had assumed to be entirely covered by vegetation but apparently wasn't quite. I walk a bit closer until my eyes are a few inches from the small hole created by the gap of rapacious vines that covered the entire castle, revealing a small glimpse of what lay outside the castle.

It was dark, like always. But there were little shrieks of sunlight which rained down from above to help my natural eyesight revealing the acres and acres of forest which somehow found a way of growing despite the fact that I was several feet underground. I'd always chalked it up as an effect of the witch who inhabited these lands before me.