Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven: one month later

"Oh my glob, that sun is a beaut!" I enthuse, already slathering on the sunscreen the minute we deplane and hit the tarmac. Besides me, Gabriel hikes our backpack over both shoulders and chuckles at me as I bend down to get my ankles. I have to hop to keep up with the flow of traffic, but I don't mind; all that's important to me right now is making sure that I don't get baked.

We didn't bring anything other than the backpack on Gabriel's shoulders full of all we'll need for our beach camping trip, so we bypass luggage claim and hit up the car hire shop where Gabriel phoned ahead to get a Land Rover rented. I beam as Gabriel slings the keys at me and I leap up behind the wheel. Seeing my maniacal grin, Gabriel shoots me a worried look. "Just as long as you get us there in one piece Schumacher."

"You've got my word that not a single hair on your pretty little head will be harmed." I promise, crossing my heart I flutter my lashes up at him innocently and slip the keys into the ignition.

Gabriel doesn't even have time to buckle himself in and pull the door closed before I pull away from the lot and head out for the highway. "I regret giving you the keys now." He grumbles, giving me the stink eye as we hit the motorway.

I roll down all the Windows and let out a whoop of joy as the wind whips my hair all over my face. "Let loose a little granddad! I will not have you grouching on this vaccination. We are going to enjoy the fast life; I'm thinking rock climbing, surfing, competitive sand castle building..."

"Competitive sand castle building?" Gabriel mumbles to himself with a shake of the head.

"Yes, you heard correctly young man; competitive sand castle-ing!" I reiterate. "I'm going to enjoy getting you rat assed drunk and watching you make a fool of yourself. I bet you're a flirty drunk too."

Throwing his head into his hands, Gabriel groans in exasperation and peers at me between the gaps in his fingers. "I'm a terrible drunk, princess. Which is exactly why I am staying as sober as a nun until you're head over heels for me and have no chance of escaping."

I scoff. I can only imagine what type of drunk he'll be. I'm hoping he's not as girly as my father is when he has a couple. I've come down the stairs to discover my father in women's clothes in a drunken stupor one too many times. Everyone else finds it hilarious, but seeing my father in my mother's bra and a pair of stilettos does nothing but give me the creeps.

I try not to shudder as I think about Gabriel in my bra and heels, but also find a smirk curling my mouth. Maybe it won't be too bad if Gabriel's that kind of drunk.

--------------------

The beach is a hike away from the parking ground and when we hit wildcat beach I let out a gasp of awe and stumble slightly. Letting out a whistle of appreciation, I grab for my camera and snap several shots from our position on the top of the cliff. "This is..."

I point my camera at Gabriel and get off a couple of shots of him sat right on the cliffs edge. "Look at you, living on the wild side. If you fall I hope you know I'm not jumping down after you."

Turning to me with a cheeky grin, Gabriel pats the spot next to him. "I'll try and believe you princess. But we both know you'd miss me too much."

If he's not careful I'll push him off myself. With a harrumph I carefully stomp up to the lip of the cliffs edge and shuffle myself down next to Gabriel, carefully gauging where's best to sit with least chance of imminent death. Finally I settle into his side, and I almost leap from my skin when his arm stretches up and over my shoulder.