Telephone

7 votes 3 comments for update

a|n
ahh this fic is so cute and fluffy!
also, welcome to my book pls enjoy it thanks
x

Colby Brock stood behind the counter of Alvie's Antiques, curling his finger around the cord of an old landline hanging on the wall in boredom.

He hated his job here, he only took it because the old guy who ran it, Alvie, was very generous on Colby's pay.

The shop was positioned on a quiet street corner, and wasn't very large. It was never busy, in fact, there was usually about seven customers a day. Most of them were elderly people, looking for things that reminded them of their childhood.

So it came as a surprise to Colby when a young man, looking around his age, walked through the door that afternoon.

He was sitting behind the counter, bored out of his mind, as usual, when he heard the bell on the door jingling. He rolled his eyes and straightened up, ready to greet the customer and show them around. He looked in the doorway, and his eyes met a surprisingly young face.

The boy was blond, and had chiseled features. His figure was thin, and a bit short. He walked through the door seemingly in awe, eyes wide, gazing around at all the antiques as he entered. He stopped at a ticking cat clock that waved its paw up and down. He smiled at it, and began to flap his hand up and down in time with the cat.

What an odd boy, Colby thought to himself. But it's a kinda cute odd.

Colby cleared his throat, and the boy jumped backwards away from the clock in surprise. He grasped his bicep in embarrassment and started to rub it slowly as his gaze drifted to the floor.

"Can I help you?" Colby asked him, obviously amused.

"Oh, uh, I-I'm just looking. T-thank you t-though," the boy replied with a nervous stutter, looking down at his feet.

Colby smiled and turned around, then pretended to be fiddling with the cash register. The boy stood there for a moment, then began to walk around the store.

Colby watched as the boy slowly made his way around the shop, stopping to look at something different every second. He noticed that the blonde couldn't keep his hands off anything, he had to try it all. He sat in all the chairs, opened all the dresser drawers, read at least three pages of all the books, and Colby swore he spent at least ten minutes typing on a typewriter.

His awe and amazement with every antique intrigued Colby. He'd never seen anyone so immersed in the store, especially a young person.

He looked over in the corner of the store to see the boy playing with the cord on a rotary telephone. Colby watched him in amusement as he pulled the string down as far as he could, then let go and smiled joyfully as it bounced up and down. After a while, he began to roll the dial on the phone, pulling it around and watching it swing back into place.

Colby almost squealed, the boy was so adorable. The way he played with all the antiques was quite possibly the cutest thing he'd ever seen.

Finally, it seemed like the blonde had picked out an item to purchase. He started to walk towards the counter, the rotary phone in his hands. He timidly approached Colby and set the phone on the counter.

Colby smiled at him. "Found something you like?" He asked sweetly.

"Oh, yes, I did. You have a very nice store," he said quietly.

Colby chuckled. "Thank you, I didn't know that people my age actually liked old things."

The boy looked slightly surprised. "Do you not like them? I think history is the greatest thing in the world!"

Colby smiled. "They're alright, I suppose. They start to grow on you after you've been around them every day of your life for a year, " he said, gesturing around the shop.

The boy nodded solemnly.

"What's your name, blondie?" Colby asked.

"Um, it's Sam. Sam Golbach."

Colby held out his hand. "Hi Sam, I'm Colby."

Sam took his hand gently and slightly shook it, and after a moment started to tug on the phone cord.

Colby smiled at his oddly adorable behavior as he recorded his purchase. Alvie didn't like (or know how to use) computers, so he made Colby write down every purchase on a piece of paper, and only take cash transactions.

Colby glanced at the price tag on the phone, wrote it down on the paper, and stuck the paper in the records drawer of the desk.

"That's forty-eight dollars and fifty-one cents," Colby said to Sam, pulling his attention from the phone cord to Colby.

"Oh, let me just, ah, get my wallet," Sam said as he fumbled with his back pocket. He eventually pulled out a leather wallet and handed Colby a fifty dollar bill. Colby took it, put it in the register, and handed Sam his change. Sam immediately put it in the small tin can labeled "Tips!" on the desk. Colby smiled gratefully, and handed him a piece of paper in return.

"What's this?" Sam asked, confused, as he looked at the writing on the paper Colby gave him.

"It's my phone number." Colby smiled. "Make sure it's the first one you call on that new phone of yours."

"W-why would I do that?" Sam asked, cheeks tinted red.

"So I can ask you out sometime."