Chapter Thirty: Anxious

Start from the beginning

"Um, my mom called me after our basketball meeting." Cameron started. He had his hand pressed to the small of my back.

"And?" I asked, impatiently. Was this good or bad?

"She wants you to have dinner with us tonight. And she wants to ask you something. Suggest it, really. And I agree with her." He had my heart beating out of my chest. After all that happened today, I could have a heart attack right now.

"Is it bad?" I asked him. He chuckled and reached around for my hand.

"No, of course not. Will you come? Right after school?" He asked me hopefully. I didn't have any reason to object.

"Yes. I'll be there." I smiled up at him

*

I thought about the Danielle situation all day. That and the situation of having dinner with Cameron's family. I've met them before and this should be a piece of cake; except they want to suggest a few things to me. I mean, what am I supposed to think to that?

The last bell rang over ten minutes ago and I've been sitting in Cameron's truck that long waiting for him. I finally spotted him sauntering out the doors of the school and towards the truck. Must've forgotten something.

"What took you so long?" I asked him as soon as he got in. He looked at me and shook his head.

"Stupid teacher and her stupid rules." Cameron grumbled under his breath. He put the truck in drive and started to back out of his space.

"Seat belt," I told him. He glanced at me and reluctantly put his seat belt on. More like jerked it on. He was definitely annoyed at something.

"Should I ask?" I asked him cautiously.

"No. I'll probably tell you later." He gave me a small smile to reassure me. It was all I could ask for right now.

"What is it that your mom wants? I've just about chewed my nails all the way down." I chuckled at my actions.

"Don't worry about it. If it was something that I knew you would be uncomfortable with, I wouldn't be taking you to my house right now. I forced it out of my mother after she said she wanted to have dinner with you. She's just being protective." He informed me.

I raised an eyebrow. "Protective? Over me?" I asked him. He smiled proudly at me.

"Sophia, have you ever seen me stick with a girl as long as I have you?" He said a little sheepishly, like he was disappointed in himself. "She thinks of you as her own already."

I felt the blush creeping up my neck and lingering on my cheeks.

"It'll be fine. I promise." He told me.

We arrived at his house not long after and I slowly stepped out of the truck. Cameron was at my side in a second, lacing our fingers together.

He pulled me along with him up the steps of his front porch. We walked right in and the smell of steak and baked potatoes filled my nose. I know that smell so well since my mom makes that meal often. It's my favorite. Cameron must've had a part in that.

Cameron smiled when he saw the grin on my face. We both tore our shoes off and made our way into the living room where his dad was watching a basketball game. His eyes were glued to the TV with a look of concentration on his face. He noticed out presence and his head snapped up with a huge grin spreading across his face.

He stood up and grabbed me up in a bear hug so tight that I thought my head was going to pop off.

"It's great to see you again, kiddo!" He patted my back.