Chapter Thirteen

Eadlyn
I sat in shock. "Wait."

Every eye in the room turned to look at me. "How did you find out Aspen was Mom's ex?" I asked Dad. Mom's Ex. That tasted weird in my mouth.

"At the time, I didn't know yet." Dad went silent. "But I saw a note in Aspen's room. It said that someone would always love him, wait for him, and that she was with him not matter what. I remember being jealous. I had never experienced something like that." Dad pursed his lips.

"I was scared you would recognize my handwriting," Mom said quietly.

"Sorry I brushed you off, by the way," Aspen said to Dad.

"I now understand why. At the time I felt helpless." Dad gave him a grim smile.

Dad called back the maids and guards, as Mom proceeded with the story. "When I went down for lunch the next day, we found out that we were having tea party. We had to invite two people to it. I knew Clarkson was just using this as a way to prove that I had no good connections. But soon I had come up with a plan and later told Maxon." Mom then all of a sudden looked frantically at Dad. Dad's eyes widened and quickly told the guards and maids to leave again.

"My guests were Georgia and Princess Nicoletta." Mom finished once the door closed. I raised an eyebrow. Was this what Dad was talking about before the Report? My suspicions were soon confirmed.

Ahren
"You did what?" I exclaimed.

"Ahren, you come from a line of traitors, what did you expect?" Dad laughed.

Eadlyn was the only person in the room that wasn't surprised. Did she already know this?

"What did you do, that made you a 'traitor?'" I asked Dad, my eyes narrowing. I knew what Eady and I had done. Dad went quiet and didn't say anything. It looked like he didn't intend to any time soon.

"That will be revealed when the time is right," Mom said quietly.

"Fine, but why did you ask Nicoletta for money for weapons? That breaks a lot of laws!" I exclaimed.

"We knew that. But we needed to do that in order for us to stop the Rebels. And if we didn't..." Mom started tearing up. Dad whispered something in her ear and she calmed down.

"I am going to take a guess we will find out about that soon as well?" Kaden asked weakly.

"Yes," Mom and Dad said at the same time.

"I don't want to be rude or anything, but is it okay that I retire to my room?" Kile said.

Mom hurried to answer, "Of course, Kile! Sorry, I forgot that you still have some jet lag. If anyone else would like to leave, feel free. No hard feelings." We all laughed.

America
Soon, our group was left down to Maxon, Aspen, Kaden, Osten, Ahren, Eadlyn, Marlee, and I. I wasn't so sure it was wise for Lucy to leave, considering what was going to be told later. Oh well.

I took a deep breath and spoke. "Soon came the Convicting. I didn't want to put a man in jail. Aspen had warned me that Clarkson wasn't just putting any thieves for us to send to jail; they were also rebel sympathizers."

Maxon's eyes shot up in surprise and looked at Aspen for confirmation. He nodded, and Maxon balled his fists, anger clearly shown on his face.

"When it was my turn, I couldn't do it. He wanted me to put a man in jail for life, because he stole clothing for his kids! And maybe some other things. Disobeying the rules, I gave him my new jewelry, from Maxon, and a songbird necklace my dad had given me. The man gave the jewelry to Clarkson, and he was set free." I smiled, happy that I had helped Adam.

Maxon sighed. "My father was furious. He wanted to call off The Selection, send all the girls home, and wait a couple years to start another one. Or maybe call Daphne back."

"I was heartbroken when Clarkson talked about this 'french princess' that I had never heard about." I smiled at Ahren as he ran his fingers through his hair, clearly surprised and perplexed by all of this.

"I had dinner in my room. Celeste, Elise, and Kriss ended up coming to my room, and we talked. I had missed speaking to friends and not really being competitive, since Marlee left. Celeste apologized for her actions, and we ended up becoming very close." I sighed, thinking back to those happy moments during my Selection. "When I came to see America and saw all of my girls talking like best friends, I just felt so peaceful and happy." Maxon smiled.

He put his arm around me and kissed my cheek, "The public adored your mother because of her actions, and I had felt similarly."

I smiled at the reference of what he had told me that night.

"I declined my father's offer to end the Selection, and life went on. He was really angry at me, so working in his office was not the best," Maxon grimaced. "And then one day, he called America and I into his office."

"He was wondering what we and done to the Italian Princess. Apparently, Nicoletta had written a note saying how much they thought I would follow in Amberly's footsteps. I had thought he was talking about the money for the weapons. Clarkson accused that I wasn't there for Maxon. But I was." I said that last part softly, so only Maxon could hear me.

"Clarkson also tried to get me to read some 'advertisements' about how the lower castes were special and other crap like that. If I didn't agree to do it, he wouldn't let Maxon marry me." I closed my eyes briefly, still hating that decision.

"What type of deal is that?" Kaden exploded.

Eadlyn joined in with him,"I am sure you guys loved each other. Especially Dad. Why didn't you propose?"

"All I wanted was to know America loved me." Maxon said looking at me.

"And I felt I didn't know him. Not as well as I had known Aspen. The other girls and I would never have all of him, and that was one reason holding me back."

Aspen stood suddenly. "I am going to get something to drink. You guys keep on going." And he left the room, not bothering to see or hear our response.

Yay! Some drama coming in!! Stay Tuned! ;)

-theselelctionseriesfan