Chapter Nine

Eadlyn:

Mom leaned into Dad, after he whispered something in her ear. She looked both happy and sad at the same time. What dad say to her?

"When I came back, I gave America a blue bracelet as a gift. She was the only person that I had gotten a gift for," Dad continued.

I nodded, I knew about the bracelet. Mom had shown it to me long ago.

"By the way, I also noticed the other accessory she wore, when I left for New Asia." Dad said, giving a pointed look at Officer Aspen.

I took a quick glance at Eikko, and found his eyes doing the same. At the same time, we realized that we weren't the only ones that had snuck around with forbidden lovers. Mom had General Leger and her button bracelet, I had Eikko and his great-great-grandmother's wedding ring. I turned my attention back to Mom and Dad, but questions still swam in my brain. How did Dad find out about General Leger? How did he react?

"When your father gave me that bracelet," Mom looked at Ahren and I, "I was really confused about him. I kept on asking myself, the Prince or the Guard? Maxon or Aspen? When I was with one, I felt I could chose him. But I just needed time to sort things out." She smiled weakly at Dad and General Leger. "The next day, I asked Silvia for extra lessons. I wanted to take my mind off my love-life and the other Elite. Soon, we had to come up with a project, a way that we would improve Illea if we were chosen. In 2 weeks, we had to present it on the Report. I couldn't really think of an idea. During the Report, a week before the presentation, Maxon saw I was stressed. He tugged his ear. We talked, but..." Mom trailed off, unsure how to continue.

Dad sighed, "I told her that she had until the Report to tell me if she wanted to be queen and if she wanted me. We fought for a bit, and I ended up leaving."

Aspen
He did what?! No wonder America got so irritated when we had talked the following day! That was way too much pressure, for her to think of a project idea and figure out who she loved. It was then I noticed the room was silent, unsure how to react.

"The next day, I met with America, and she asked me what I would do for a project. We also ended up fighting." I said, breaking the silence.

"Must be something she does to all her boyfriends," Maxon said and we smiled weakly.

America glared at us, and shook her head. "Anyways... I kept on trying to think of a project, hoping to distract myself." America stopped suddenly and she and Maxon stared at each other, communicating with their eyes.

"You ok?" Lucy whispered next to me, squeezing my hand. I nodded, and kissed her head. Maxon moving brought my attention back. He stood up and walked over to the closest butler, and whispered to him to get something. The butler nodded and bowed, running out of the room.

Maxon settled back down, and nodded toward America. "I think it is best that I don't say what happens next," America said quietly.

"Mom! Dad! Part of the deal was that it wouldn't be sugar coated!" Ahren exclaimed.

"She said she wouldn't say what happened next. We will, I guess, show you," Maxon said.

Maxon

I was not looking forward to this next part. Though Eadlyn already knew, I wasn't sure what the others would think...