eleven || resembled the time

Start from the beginning

                "Not surprising." Remus replied. The letter was burning at his wands tip. "Your parents despised Slytherin..."

                "Because one of them killed Grandpa. I know." She snapped somewhat. Even Remus couldn't blame her, he'd only read one letter and there was no less than three reminders of the murder of Grandpa Archord. "I just can't believe they could possibly think that I'd—Being a Slytherin doesn't make me a bad person, does it?"

                As children, Remus had always been the tallest and not because of the year between them, but because Eleanor was just really short. Sometimes it would be the cause of humour. Others, like then, it would break the boys heart. When he had to look down and see the girl staring at her fiddling hands since she was desperate not to cry. When he had to see the sadness in the strongest girl he'd ever met (on par Lily Evans, eventually). When he had to figure out the words to make a smile reappear on her face.

                Times like that, the words were really hard to pick. So, naturally, he quoted his good friend James Potter. From day one, James had been spouting empowering quotes to cheer up Sirius. Then, at the death of his mother, to keep Peter going. Latest in the instalment of reasons for James to quote his loving mother was the announcement of Remus' issue. James Potter was unwaveringly, always there for his friends and, in that moment, Remus Lupin decided he would be the same for Eleanor Archord.

                "Of course not, El. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

                And, like that, a smile. "I think you've got all light, Remus."

                "My Furry Little Problem would disagree—" The boy joked slightly but was forced to explain under Eleanor's furrowed eyebrows. "Oh, it's what the boys call my illness."

                At four years old, Eleanor was playing in the back garden with a nearly five-years-old Remus trying to catch fireflies after begging their parents extensively to allow them up so late. One moment she'd been lip-stuck-out in concentration to try and catch one and the next she screamed the most horrific scream. It was justified though; witnessing your best friend have sharp teeth of a werewolf sunk into his chest was enough to make anybody scream. Fortunately for her, her father braved the risk of infection himself to shield her as Remus' father battled the werewolf away from his boy.

                Alas, it was too late. Remus' childhood was ripped away and Eleanor only just managed to keep being part of the one he had left.

                "I prefer that." Eleanor whispered and then succumbed to her tears again at the memory. Granted, the memory didn't haunt even her nightmares as it did Remus' but it was a great reminder of the love of her father – the love that she'd then lost. Seven years prior, he'd been willing to risk his life to save hers but now she was unsure if he'd ever look at her without scowling.

                Quickly, the girl covered her tear stained face with her hands so that nobody could see – though, they definitely could've guessed. Pity flooding with by the tears, Remus pulled her into a hug in which her hand-covered-head rested peacefully on his chest. "Hey, El, come here, don't cry. Listen, since we were little you've always been the strongest and the smartest and the person who wouldn't stop playing Quidditch until she'd won. This is like Quidditch and you can't stop now. Your family will change their opinion, I'm certain."

                Eleanor was certain, recalling it many years later, that that was the first and only time he'd ever been wrong.

                Due to her head being indented into Remus' chest, Eleanor didn't see the three curiously watching boys across the hall. Remus did though and, as much as he trusted they were nice, he shook his head to keep them away. After all, he'd only ever seen them be nice to Gryffindor's, Ravenclaw's and Hufflepuff's. Sirius had even booed a few Slytherin's at that Sorting; Eleanor, in Remus' eyes, didn't deserve to be booed.